• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

electric fans

OL AG '89

If your cooling system is working properly no reason to spend the money. Are you running HOT?
These engines aren't putting out massive HP's so the heat is controllable with the stock fan.
If your trying to "add" HP.... with the electric fans, I thnk you might see a very small gain, but it's one more thing to fail, possibly leaving you stranded.
I carry all three replacement belts just in case.....

89m1007

No I was considering doing it for the added HP. And a faster warm up in the cold. I let it idle for 10 min in the morning at -10f and cardboard on my radiator and. Drive 2 miles to the fuel station. And just let it idle and the I have to drive another 2 to 3. Miles and then I get warm air out of my heater

OL AG '89

I would think "preheating" with a block heater would help the cold issues...
We don't get brutual cold in this part of Texas. We had a couple 20 degree days. I just start the truck before the morning Sh*t, shower and shave..... normally toasty warm when I hop in. I do leave the chain around steering, just in case someone wants to "borrow" it, while its warming up
We do have the 100 plus degree days, and I wish I had the A/C at that point!!
I really think you'll only find about 5 HP gain.... maybe....
Maybe you could help the warmup with a "High Idle" switch to let the motor spin a little faster while warming up???
Not sure what to do but I'm sure someone on the forum has tried it

QuickSilver

A 6.2 will never be a powerhouse no matter what you do to it, but if you take good care of it, it will last half of forever. [thumbzup]

Disciple

Sorry to hijack. I was considering putting in an electric fan on a switch, for when I need to do an emergency-outrun-the-zombies-deep-water-fording operation. Kill the fan so I'm not kicking water up into the intake, breaking the fan, etc. If anyone has done it, I'm curious (the fan part, not necessarily the "outrun the zombies" part, though that could be entertaining too). I suppose a snorkel would do the trick as well.

89m1007, care to explain your high idle switch install? Sounds like my next mod.

Marschmallow

I pulled a 3000 pound trailer from Georgia to Maine with my M1009 with a 5 inch lift and 35 inch tires. When the clutch fan engaged I could only achieve 55 MPH, but when the fan disengaged I could achieve 70 MPH. The fan definately robs the needed horse power/ torque, I also see a change in MPG between winter and summer which I relate to percentage of the time the fan clutch is energized. This may not be as noticeable with a stock size MV.
I have an electric fan on my to-do list.
I even noticed this same above mentioned problem with my wife's 2006 H3 Hummer, and a 1986 Jeep Comanche. (both underpowered with large mechanical type fans and oversized tires)

Attachments

Last edited:

OL AG '89

I would love to see the dyno numbers on this. I'm betting a few, again maybe 5 or so HP gain not running the stock fan....
If you do this run it on a dyno before and after........