• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electric issue on my '79 5ton

firewarrior

I need some input if anyone has any...the other day I got fuel in the passenger side tank. I left the store and about a quarter mile down the road I switched tanks to the driver side since I just filled the passenger side ( I rotate tanks to keep everything working ). About 100ft after I switched tanks I saw the first sparks come out from under my dash, then it did it 2 more times and my fuel gauge went black, then I lost power. When i tried to re-start it it would turn over but I could tell it wasn't firing. After taking out the dash panel I couldn't see any signs of shorted out wiring, just the gauge. I went digging under the hood and found that the fuel shut off solenoid had closed off. I took off the supply line and turned the truck over and fuel was getting to the solenoid, just not passed it. what is puzzling me is that i didn't think the fuel gauge and solenoid had anything to do with each other. if anyone could give me some advice as to what may have happened i would appreciate it.

Katavic918

Does the shutoff have power to it? I dont know anything about that system but it sounds like your gauge shorted out and blew a fuse/power source that powers both. Good luck.

fasttruck

If this truck has the NH250 with the PT fuel pump in it you can turn the bypass screw in (clockwise) and it will hold the fuel solenoid open so if you can get the truck cranking it will start and run. To shut it off you need to either use the emergency shutoff or turn the screw out. It will be necessary to reset the emergency shut off manually under the hood. Picture 1 illustrates the shut off valve, picture 2 shows the by-pass screw.

Attachments

firewarrior

If this truck has the NH250 with the PT fuel pump in it you can turn the bypass screw in (clockwise) and it will hold the fuel solenoid open so if you can get the truck cranking it will start and run. To shut it off you need to either use the emergency shutoff or turn the screw out. It will be necessary to reset the emergency shut off manually under the hood. Picture 1 illustrates the shut off valve, picture 2 shows the by-pass screw.
thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks