• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

electric question

Docter

hey i know it will be a bit till i get down to doing wireing on my M-37 but i keep looking at this thing . I know its a rectifier and it came with the truck, I have found it mounted between the grille and the radiater in some pictures i have seen. I even found it mentioned in a TM sometjhing about the 100 amp system but i find no schematics with it in there.
any info would help me to sleep at nite.
youres at arms Doc

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes it is for the 100 amp generator kit for the M37. You may also have a 4 groove pulley on the crankshaft and water pump for this set up. There will also be a much larger Cannon connector at the voltage regulator location. Your truck may have been a shelter carrier. PM me if you want to sell the pictured items.

Bill W

Yes its a 100amp gnerator used on the radio/command M-37's ( M-42). I had a burned out one on my 37 and replaced it and all the associated cables with a single wire mil 60amp alternator ( uses same mounting bracket)., I bought a 3 groove pully alt off a Mutt radio jeep and found that the two front grooves on the alt matched up with the two rear pullys on the engine to which I had a 2 belt set up ( the old 100amp 4 groove pully won't fit on the 60amp alt ). At the time this was a quick and clean fix for my 37. In the picture you can just see how the belts lined up on the alt.

Attachments

Docter

very cool, my mv has only single pulleys on the motor, and the 60amp gen is wired to the regulater on the fire wall, but there is a cut out on the front driver side pillar next to the radiater which i imagine is where the cables ran through to the gen.
so my guess is unless i am doing something like a comand vehicle or something like that i probably wont have a use for it. and unless i had a tm for that model is why i did not see it in my reg m-37 tm.

Bill W

Don't you mean that you have a 30amp generator wired to a regulator on the firewall??
The Military 60amp Alternator has a internal regulator.

135gmc

This is the regulator for the old 100 amp generator that was needed if the truck was set up as an M42 command vehicle or carried an S-250 shelter. The shelters could usually be powered from either 24 volts DC, or 115 VAC.

nattieleather

You could get the 100 amp gen and put it back to original and put a commo shelter in it with all the radios...or a telephone switch would be cool as I don't know of anyone who has one of those.

It's just a suggestion... :)

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
S-144

You can see the proper AN/GRC-46 RTTY shelter at my web site. About Rattrig.com They all took the 100 amp generator. The shelters were either the S-89 or the S-144. The S-250 is larger was for later trucks like the M-715 and the CCUV's.

Docter

Hey that is a pretty cool set up, after active duty i spent a couple years in a signal outfit, that M-37 with the commo box doesn't look all that different than the stuff when i was in. As far as making my truck to sig specs, well i think it will take me long enough to get her restored to basic shape. funds are hard enough to come by and of course tonight one of my tracters broke down :(

youres at arms Doc