• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

electric trouble

samurai

i have a big electric trouble

today my wipper blade mouving alone and i see and smell a little smoke emission at the wipper switch (bad contact)
i cut the contact imediatly and i remove the wipper blade fuse
the problem is that today

the main service light is on, but

turn light is out of order
runing light is out of order
horn is out of order

stop light are ok
and when i replace the wipper fuse wipper blade are ok but the light ????

do you have a solution , i change all the fuse in the box

i will buy on army shop a new turn light switch , do you have a link to find the wipper blade switch
not sure this one is ok for my 1985 cucv m1009

www.ebay.com/itm/BWD-Automotive-S3048-Wi...;hash=item3ccad7203b

what is the trouble ?

bad ground ?
main fuse everywhere ?
main light switch out of order ?

if you help me i will be very happy

thanks

richingalveston

looking at the part, it looks like that switch is for intermitant wipers, you need the one for non intermitant wipers. I believe the non intermitant wipers has 5 wires and the intermitant wipers has 7 wires. I would have to look in my spare parts to know for sure.
you need to check your wiring, in order to get smoke like that, you must have a hot wire that is making contact to ground. check where wires go through anything metal for missing insulation.
this may have caused a short in your fuse box. Get a test light and make sure you have power at each of the fuse locations
you may need to remove the fuse box and look at the back it sounds like you melted some wires in the back of it.

If you fuse box got melted, the best solution is to replace it and the interior wiring harness.

richingalveston

one other note, to replace the wiper switch, you need a steering wheel puller and the tool to press the lock plate down to remove the snap ring around the steering column shaft. It is somewhat of jigsaw puzzle to put back togather also.

K9Vic

What Rich says is correct and you need the special tool to change it out. I have done this repair before on the wiper/turn signal switch and it is not difficult if you have the correct tool. The last M1009 I rebuilt had the same type of issue and one reason the place I got it from sold it. When I got it home I found out the problem and just used an extra plug I had. I am not sure if it matters if it has delay or not as the delay is a small box on the end between the column and loom out, but I would get the right one to be sure.

Being in France you prob limited to what you can get locally for full size GM American vehicles, so make sure you get the loom with no delay to be 100% sure.

This is what your switch may look like, this is how I found mine.

Attachments

K9Vic

What Rich says is correct and you need the special tool to change it out. I have done this repair before on the wiper/turn signal switch and it is not difficult if you have the correct tool. The last M1009 I rebuilt had the same type of issue and one reason the place I got it from sold it. When I got it home I found out the problem and just used an extra plug I had. I am not sure if it matters if it has delay or not as the delay is a small box on the end between the column and loom out, but I would get the right one to be sure.

Being in France you prob limited to what you can get locally for full size GM American vehicles, so make sure you get the loom with no delay to be 100% sure.

This is what your switch may look like, this is how I found mine.
It must be late, this is the turn signal part of that external multiple handle switch/lever. But it is the same process to change it out as the turn signal switch. The wipers, turn and cruise would all be on this lever; but the CUCV does not have cruise.

richingalveston

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/csb/full.aspx?Page=177
they have them at LMC but very expensive. I bought one at Oriely auto parts but could not find it online. I beleive it was $125 at my local parts store. You may want to take yours apart first to see if it is the switch and not a grounded wire somewhere else. Since you replaced the fuse and wipers are working, it may be somewhere else. They also sell the steering wheel puller and lock ring remover tools at LMC and they are not that expensive. You can try rock auto but I find their online store difficult to use.
good luck,
Rich

K9Vic

Anyone know how to remove the handle from the switch? I have it removed from my spare column and cannot figure it out. I tried a search on Google but what I found was all later model how to steps. I am sure it is simple, but I do not have more time to search and will also help the OP as well.

Yes it has 5 wires and pins for the non-delay wiper switch.

Attachments

richingalveston

it just pulls out when it is in the right possition, it takes a little force but there is just a bump on the end of the stem and two slots that you have to line up to pull it out, cant remember exactly what possition it needs to be in to line up the bump with the notch.

K9Vic

Thank you I got it, that is what I was thinking but I did not want to break it as the switch is really expensive. It probably was harder to remove as it has some rust on it and it looks bent.

Attachments