• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electric winch

There's no 'right' answer. If I only had one winch, and it had to be permanently mounted, would put it up front. But can think of a number of scenarios where a rear-mounted winch might prove useful. Think the BEST solution would probably be one of those Warn winches (posted some info about them earlier in this thread), on a receiver-type mount.
Very true, however, most Reese type hitches will not tolerate any sideloading whatsoever. Also, many SS owners, like me, aré not capable of lifting and mounting an 18k winch with all the necesary hardware for reese hitches. So, two wenches are requiered for safe operación.

jesusgatos

Yeah, did not mean to suggest that you'd just slide something like that into a standard 2" receiver hitch. But it's certainly possible to build something modular like that, but... you know, deuced-up a bit.

AmLogger

yeah that is the reason for my two 1/2 inch turnbuckels. My reciver is rated at 10000lbs and the turnbuckels are rated at 5000lbs each. The turnbuckels go to the truck at 75 degree angle to prevent side loading.

asgtoolman

so I bought a Warn 18,000 pound 24v winch, #77232.

Warn Severe-Duty Series 18 Electric Planetary Winch :: Warn Industrial Electric Planetary Winches :: Warn Industrial Planetary Winches :: Winches :: Recovery & Winching :: Tow Parts Now

so, now that I bought it, how do I mount it? :p

Is the A3 alternator going to be able to keep up with it?
I extended my frame 6", beefed up my bumper considerably between frame members and mounted mine behind bumper and between the frame members; kinda like out of sight.
I would be glad to email photos direct to you from my phone; have not mastered loading them on this site.
PM me if you want me to send pics.

Stonepicker1

I just bought a New "in the box" 24 volt winch off E*ay for $800.
I was outbid on my GL items so I bought me a Chirstmas gift to make me fell better. lol
Now which truck do I put it on? Looks to be a good deal. I'll be picking it up on Jan 6th.

Model: 77232
Series 18 DC
Heavy Pulling Power of up to 18,000 lbf. (single line)
  • Dependable high-torque series-wound 24V DC electric motor
  • Weatherproof industrial contactor control pack
  • Rugged 32' (10 m) industrial remote control
  • Disc brake designed for extended power-out use
  • Thermal overload switch protects motor from overheating
Complete with hook and cable and pendant

Attachments

spicergear

I like the mechanical nature of the PTO driven winches as long as you have engine power...you'll come out or break something. I don't build in 'fuses' and don't like shear pins. I'm getting out, it's coming out, or I get a lesson in what not to do. Not wanting the lesson makes you think out what's going on around you better. I've also seen a few electric winches give up after a couple of long hard pulls where the PTO doesn't care. It's still personal preference though; PTO is not the easiest thing to do with the different order of things that have to happen where electric and hydraulic are a bit easier to operate. I still like the feel with the mechanical winch and the ability to bounce them (jump a clutch a little...YES it's not the most friendly thing to do to them...) to get something past something else it may have otherwise gotten hung up on. Another thing I didn't see mentioned was snatch blocks. People, if you winch or intend on winch, get yourself at least one snatch block. Not all the time do you need them to return the line to double the power of the winch or the line strentgh...sometimes you just need it to be able to steer the line through the trees.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks