• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electric Wipers Install

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought I would make a new thread covering my electric wiper installation in my deuce. This only covers the wiring portion of the installation. When I bought the A3 cab for my deuce, I noticed they just drilled a hole in the middle of the dash and ran the wires that way. Well I think that looked a little sketchy, not to mention possibilities of snagging wires. I routed my wires in the same fashion the air wipers were plumbed. I ran (2) 14 Gauge wires through a piece of 3/8” metal fuel line. This way it keeps the wires protected and routed nicely. The tubing bender I had was ok, but it did not work well on the tight bends. So I am not really proud of the quality of my bends. Maybe someday I’ll take it out and start over…. Someday. I figured the rest of the cab looks real good, so that should too. When the wires come out of the metal tubing, I also put on some heat shrink so the wires were protected better from a possible sharp edge on the tubing. Before I routed the wires in the tubing, I de-burred the ends of the tubing where the pipe cutter cut it.

There are 2 wire connections on the bottom of the switch. In the pictures, The one on the Right is Accessory/Ignition (depending on MV) or Battery Power. The wire on the left is what I believe is for the windshield washer pump. I know on the windshield washer kits, they only had a hand pump, but maybe I can find a 24 volt one somewhere. To get the windshield washer pump power to come out of this left side terminal/wire, the wipers have to be on and you have to push in on the knob. I was hoping I could just push in on the switch and it would run the wipers and put power to the wire (windshield washer pump), but it is not the case. Also in the original wiring harness was a ground wire. I found I did not need this ground wire to ground to the dash. It would have been nice, but I just made a small ground wire with (2) ring terminals that grounded the motor to the center bar of the windshield frame. It works very well and I did not have to run a long, ugly ground wire.

Attachments

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the picture of the ground wire. Obviously it would be nicer if it went to the actual cab, but i think this works fairly good. i have not had a problem with it so far. Then again, i just got it done last night around 10:00.

Attachments

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That came out really nice. My truck was upgraded by the military, with the same electric wiper setup; but they ran it just up the center between the two windshields.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That came out really nice. My truck was upgraded by the military, with the same electric wiper setup; but they ran it just up the center between the two windshields.
Yup, that is exactly how my cab originally was. I put an A2 dash on the A3 cab (less holes for the tranny temp gauge and diagnostic plug). The only thing to be careful of is if you fold the windshield down, make sure you pull a little wire up through the dash before laying the windshield down. I could have drilled it out a little more and put a grommet, but I didn’t. Maybe if I re-do my 3/8” line someday, I will. The wires are snug in there, but not pinched. Just looking at it, I know I could do better bends.

Side note: I used the original crew locations on the windshield frame to mount the “P” clamps. I only drilled one and that was right by the windshield wiper motor to mount that “P” clamp.