• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electrical failure

Sam27

Suddenly today my CUCV has basically no lights: no headlights, no tail lights, no break lights, no little dome light thingy, and no horn. It starts and runs fine. The fuses all look good by eye, but I haven't checked them electrically yet. Any ideas where I should start looking?

Sam27

Looking through the manual, it sounds like my blackout lights are enabled, even though the switch is in the service light position. Any ideas how to solve this? The schematics don't make it at all obvious how the blackout light switches interact with everything else.

Sam27

RE: Re: RE: Electrical failure

But the headlights aren't on the same fuse as the horn, taillights, backup lights, blinkers and everything else that was down.

Anyway, I got lucky and found the problem to be a corroded connection at the firewall. 12V wasn't making it past a little junction box thing on the firewall in the engine compartment. I loosened and tightened the bolt and the connection came back. I'm afraid my wiring has been butchered somewhere along the way though. This wire bypasses the fusebox altogether and goes to the blackout switches, plus up to the top of the panel out of sight someplace. Possibly to the blackout relay? I haven't been able to locate that. I'm back in business, but I wish I understood these systems better.

CCATLETT1984

if you look at the TM for the truck it has full wiring schematics. the wires are even the same as on the renderings, so you can find them in the harness with ease.

Sam27

I have all the schematics, but the labels are far from obvious. There are separate diagrams for headlights and blackout lights. Looking at the blackout light schematic, I can't tell where battery voltage comes from in the first place, much less how the blackout switches keep power from going to the normal headlights. Maybe if I stared at it for hours I could figure it out... My motivation is low now that it's working again. ;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks