• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electrical issues on my deuce

Duecer187

I recently bought a 1970 model deuce, guy said the alternator overcharged and blew all the lights. Long story short I have everything but blinker lights and tail lights. all my black out lights work gauge lights ect. i have 0 volts going to my tail lights or blinkers. One thing that doesn't seem right when my accessory switch is off i can still turn on my lights is this normal? I was wondering what the problem typically was? brake sensor, blinker switch or flasher module? I couldn't find anywhere to test the flasher module. Could my blinker switch be bad and cause my tail lights not to work? i've cleaned my ground to flasher module to make sure it had a good solid ground. Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated thank you!

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is normal to be able to turn on lights with the acc. switch off. We have had several flasher units go bad. Check for power to it with the turn signal lever one way on the other. If no power to flasher unit, suspect the turn signal switch given it has power to it. If you do have power to the flasher unit, then suspect it. We have also had turn signal switches go bad. You can disassemble it and check for dirty contacts. Spray them with contact cleaner. The turn signal bulbs are not the ones used for taillights so there is another problem there. Check all wires where they enter connections for green deposits at any place where the wire covering has been pulled back exposing the wire. Many times the corrosion has eaten through most of the wire there, causing it to lose contact entirely or with only one or two strands still attached creating a high resistance. I have seen this happen anywhere along a wire where the wire covering is broken exposing the wire underneath, not just where they enter connectors or circuit breakers.

Duecer187

Thanks for the advice!! The right rear light assembly had a short in it fixed that now I have all lights but blinkers I ordered a new switch and module so I'm hoping that will fix it! I will keep you updated!

dmetalmiki

I have had the problem with original electronic turn signal units going faulty. And have found Three PIN 24 volt flasher units work just fine. (from -bay). These work on U.S. Older military trucks as the flasher circuit unit (unlike most other vehicles) Is simply an 'interrupter'. on a single "HOT" wire.
They (these cheaper units) Have served well as stand by units in case of failure away from home.

Attachments

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the advice!! The right rear light assembly had a short in it fixed that now I have all lights but blinkers I ordered a new switch and module so I'm hoping that will fix it! I will keep you updated!
Also consider building your own flasher module if you find that the replacement one dies after a short while. Instructions here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks