• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

electrical issues

croftonaviation

I was finally able to get some time to work on my truck this weekend. Here is what I had. I was getting good voltage on the batteries. At the starer relay I was getting 24 volts. At the fuse box however I had the following. All of the red wires comming in has 12 volts on them. However 3-brn-4 which has a 25 amp fuse and goes to the ignition switch only had 4 volts on it. Another fuse in the upper l/h corner marked for eng con, only had 6 volts. when I would turn the ignition switch on the pannel warning lights would just barley glow. Next morning I come out turn on the ignition switch and over the course of 4-5 seconds the volt meter swings from red to green very slowly, like something was becoming unstuck. Since then it has been fine. Is there a relay or selinoid some where that could have been sticking. I am really not cool with "self fixs" as it's only time before it lays down again. Thanks for the help. oh and the reference page for the brown wire I noted was F-8.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the future you need to tell us the diagram number, not the page number - eaiser to find in the -20 or -34 TMs. And you where looking at the diagram for a M1010 and not your M1009. There are small differences in the diagrams.

First, remove and clean the ground wire and mounting surface for the ground busbar above the emergency brake. ALOT of electrical issues can be caused by this connection.

Second, the ignition switch has grease inside and can get dirty and cause problems. A new switch isn't that much but is a pain to replace. It is covered in the TMs. It is easiest to drop the steering column. From your description this may very well be the problem.

The brown wire 3-brn-4 is the feed wire to the wipers.

Wire 3-Red-2E feeds 12v to that side of the ignition switch (diagram F-4). When the key is in RUN, 12v should be fed to the circuits.

Last edited:

croftonaviation

I was wondering about the ignition switch. I just downloaded the -34 and will see how to replace it. Is it a standard GM part? Thanks again for the help.

Tom

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks