• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electrical Outlet Box

ETN550

I bought a variety of outlets that I need to use with my MEP-016B and made a box. One side is for the 120 VAC single phase setting and the other side is for the 240 VAC single phase setting. On the 240 side the 120VAC duplex outlet shown takes one outlet off of L1 - L0 and the other outlet off of L2 - L0.

I bought a "pop rivet" style tool that sets the rivet nuts into the aluminum. Kind of cool. The aluminum is 0.040 anodized and the hardware is stainless.

Granted the 50 amp 240VAC outlet is being optimistic, but I already tested my Mig welder that takes this plug and the generator handles it fine using the smaller welding wire and lower settings. The other 240 VAC single outlet is for a 4kw heater. On the 120VAC side the big single outlet is a 30 A RV outlet for my camper.

The box is fed with a 10 x 4 cord with 30A twistlock connectors.
DSCN2997.jpg

DSCN2998.jpg

DSCN3003.jpg

DSCN3004.jpg

DSCN2984.jpg

PeterD

Being a lazy guy, I didn't bother making my boxes! Instead, I went to the local (Manchester NH) electronics surplus house and bought 3 three phase power distribution boxes! Each has outlets for each phase (it is designed for 120/208 input) and some nice circuitry to allow easy control of power. They also had nice 30 amp three phase breakers too.

I paid about $20 each (they were marked $40, but I buy so much stuff from the place they will give me good prices...) so there was no way I'd be able to 'make' it for that price.

Now not everyone will be lucky enough to find exactly what they need in a surplus house, but here are a few hints. Most (now obsolete) mini-computers, specifically DEC, but others too, were equipped with a power distribution box in the rack. These boxes can be found for between $5 and $25, and come in many configurations, both single phase and three phase. Grab one, and rewire it (I've done this myself with several of them...) The DEC ones have breakers, and a big contractor to control power with a low voltage control line.

135gmc

Very nicely done! By having this kind of adapter available, it's easy to use for you, and if you ever let someone else use it, they have a pretty good chance of success as well.

ETN550

Being a lazy guy, I didn't bother making my boxes! Instead, I went to the local (Manchester NH) electronics surplus house and bought 3 three phase power distribution boxes! Each has outlets for each phase (it is designed for 120/208 input) and some nice circuitry to allow easy control of power. They also had nice 30 amp three phase breakers too.

I paid about $20 each (they were marked $40, but I buy so much stuff from the place they will give me good prices...) so there was no way I'd be able to 'make' it for that price.

Now not everyone will be lucky enough to find exactly what they need in a surplus house, but here are a few hints. Most (now obsolete) mini-computers, specifically DEC, but others too, were equipped with a power distribution box in the rack. These boxes can be found for between $5 and $25, and come in many configurations, both single phase and three phase. Grab one, and rewire it (I've done this myself with several of them...) The DEC ones have breakers, and a big contractor to control power with a low voltage control line.

Oh yeah, brings back memories. I lived in Dayton, OH and visited Mendelsons Surplus. I could stay in there for days. It's huge, 5 floors in an old factory! Right next to WPAFB so tons of stuff. Electrical, mechanical, fasteners, wire cable, pennies on the dollar. Once bought two loaded three phase breaker panels loaded with 20A to 50A Allen Bradley three phase breakers - $75.00 total. bolts and nuts by the pound at near scrap prices! motors at $10.00 per Hp!

Sometimes the guys at the counter would just look at it and name a price!

Can't find anything like this in Knoxville TN :-(

PeterD

good job

Have you considered using the input plug relaiance and others make instead of having the dangeling pigtailhttp://www.reliancecontrols.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PK30
What I did on my set is to have two 40 ft cables ending in 3-phase 30 amp connectors. Then each of my boxes has plugs like you describe. The advantage here is that I can use the boxes (and have 40 ft of wire to move them around) or connect my house's transfer switches without having each box needing lot's of wire. Works well!

(BTW, I did wire up two cables (30 amp each) to the generator, and two transfer switches in the house, and have four outlet boxes as well...)

quickfarms

Here is the panel that I used for my box and it is 8.99 plus

120/240 VAC GENERATOR PANEL

New, generator panel outlet enclosure box with hinged cover. Electrical components are mounted in a plastic enclosure designed for surface mounting to a panel. Four stud mount for use with 3/16" thread cutting speed nuts. One twist-lock and two duplex receptacle outlets. Two push-button reset circuit breakers. Use for generators, electrical panels, power center for a workbench, or remove the components to install in other applications.

SPECIFICATIONS
  • 240/120 Outlet
    NEMA L14-30, 30 amp twist-lock
  • 120 Outlets
    3-prong 20 amp duplex
  • Circuit Breaker Rating 20 amps
  • Panel Opening Size 8" x 5-1/8"
  • Mounting Studs c/c 6-1/2" x 5-21/32"
  • Mounting Studs 3/16" diameter
  • Face Size 8-1/2" x 6-1/8"
  • Size 4-7/8" x 8-1/2" x 6-1/8"
  • Shpg. 4 lbs.

Surplus Center - 120/240 VAC GENERATOR PANEL BOX

ETN550

good job

Have you considered using the input plug relaiance and others make instead of having the dangeling pigtail

Relaince PK30

PK30 Transfer Switch Accessory | Product Details | Reliance Controls Corporation
Yeah, I was looking on line after I had my parts purchased and began construction. I think after I clean up my mess i made in the garage and rest a while I am going to do exactly what you suggest. I can plug the pigtail hole and mount an input plug there. I have also thought about a female plug on the opposite side as a through connection. This generator will run two RV roof airs so I thought why not have the ability to plug my camper in and run a cord next door too for my neighbor!

The main reason I used a cord on the generator side was because I am thinking of making a really controlled ASK with absolute minimal holes and seams in the enclosure. Just a labyrinth air in / air out and some assist fans. So the cord can come out the bottom. Maybe I will change my mind and do something different later.

ETN550

New, generator panel outlet enclosure box with hinged cover. Electrical components are mounted in a plastic enclosure designed for surface mounting to a panel. Four stud mount for use with 3/16" thread cutting speed nuts. One twist-lock and two duplex receptacle outlets. Two push-button reset circuit breakers. Use for generators, electrical panels, power center for a workbench, or remove the components to install in other applications.

SPECIFICATIONS
  • 240/120 Outlet
  • 120 Outlets
    3-prong 20 amp duplex
  • Shpg. 4 lbs.

Great find, thanks! Great price too. On my second 016B I might make a shallow box and mount it on the side frame to have an arrangement similar to what most gens have.

Honestly, I think these generators are a hard sell because the average consumer does not know or care to know how to deal with the industrial style load output lugs. Putting some outlets on the gen itself make them more user friendly. Your find is perfect for the 016B at 3kw. Four standard outlets and a standard twistlock - perfect!

Keith_J

SPECIFICATIONS
  • 240/120 Outlet
  • 120 Outlets
    3-prong 20 amp duplex

• Shpg. 4 lbs.

Nice find! I wonder if I could use that for 208/120 three-phase with a bit of rewiring? I know L14 is for split 120/240 so the voltage rating isn't an issue. As long as it is labeled 120/208 3-phase, shouldn't be an issue.

Set that panel in a box and plug the welder into the L14 while having 120 volt outlet off a leg and neutral.

I already have the 12/4 SOOW cord. Need t-lugs for the load terminals on the generator end.

quickfarms

They look like the same panel that is used on a generac brand generator I saw two weeks ago at an event.

I am using one to test/ load my MEP 903 B.

There is a connector on the back that you can use the .25 spade connectors to attach to the generator.

Keith_J

They look like the same panel that is used on a generac brand generator I saw two weeks ago at an event.

I am using one to test/ load my MEP 903 B.

There is a connector on the back that you can use the .25 spade connectors to attach to the generator.
30 ampere load through 0.25" spade terminals? I hope not. That must be for voltage measurements.

AN/ARC186

Looks good, but I see a problem or two.

From NFPA 70
200.6 Means of Identifying Grounded Conductors.

A Sizes 6 AWG or Smaller. An insulated grounded conductor of 6 AWG or smaller shall be identified by one of the following means:
(1)A continuous white outer finish.
(2)A continuous gray outer finish.
(3)Three continuous white stripes along the conductor's entire length on other than green insulation.
(4)Wires that have their outer covering finished to show a white or gray color but have colored tracer threads in the braid identifying the source of manufacture shall be considered as meeting the provisions of this section

250.119 Identification of Equipment Grounding Conductors. Unless required elsewhere in this Code, equipment grounding conductors shall be permitted to be bare, covered, or insulated. Individually covered or insulated equipment grounding conductors shall have a continuous outer finish that is either green or green with one or more yellow stripes except as permitted in this section. Conductors with insulation or individual covering that is green, green with one or more yellow stripes, or otherwise identified as permitted by this section shall not be used for ungrounded or grounded circuit conductors.

All black looks cool, but it's not right.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks