• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electrical Problem?

blackhorse

1951 Dodge PW M37
History of my problem:
Would run about 2 minutes and stop- found a burned out coil and replaced$160.00.
New coil lasted about 3 miles. Replaced Coil and condenser$180.00
Sent distributor and cap to supplier for diagnosis and rebuild. Installed new bushings,coil, cap rotor, points. wires OK-$400.00.
Installed ,ran for 5 miles and stopped. after a long cool down it will run a few miles and stop again.
Checked charging system and found it was putting out 32 volts back to batteries.Adjusted the Voltage regulator to 27 1/2 volts truck ran good for 30 miles and has stopped again.
When I say stopped I mean the engine sputters and has absolutely no power to hardly move and then only a few feet at a time and will shut down completely ,may start back up and sometime may not.
Running out of patience and money for this M37.
CAN ANYONE RELATE TO THIS PROBLEM AND PASS ON SOME USEFUL INFORMATION TO WHAT I MAY USE TO HAVE A RELIABLE VEHICLE FOR THE ROAD.

Kaiser67M715

indicative of a faulty coil, what brand did you put in?

the new aftermarket stuff sometimes lasts as long as you can get in and turn the key. kind of crappy, but it is what it is.

now it could be fuel and air related, but I severely doubt it

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the Distributor Vent Lines and the fittings in the carburetor / air cleaner U pipe. Also check the wires in the distributor and make sure the Points & Plate are screwed down tight.

Check over on the G741 website for answers. There is a LOT of information on M37 Distributors over there.

just me

Yep, sounds heat related. If the vent pipes aren't hooked up AND correct, you will cook the coil. I have a way to check that, but if done incorrectly can be ****ed dangerous. So, won't just put it on the interwebs.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I knew the chinese coils were crap but this is a new low. Find a US surplus coil and yes make sure the vent system works.

GUNNY 155

Also check the fittings where the lines are attached to the carb air inlet to make sure someone has not just installed plain 90 degree elbows. One elbow should have a 90 degree piece of tubing soldered into it. It also need to be faced into the air stream in the proper direction. Did you replace the voltage filter where the wire comes into the distributor? If that is bad it can also cause coil failures.

nattieleather

You need three things to make a gas motor go. Air, Fuel, and spark. Have checked to see if you are getting those three things? You may be chasing a electrical issue when it's a fuel issue. Before you spend more money on electrical components make sure that the electric is the problem. It may be fuel issue as stated above. Maybe even the fuel pump is not working properly.