• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electrical Question

hedelta

I will be wiring up a 24v to 12v converter in my deuce. My question is can I ground my accessories to the frame or do I have to run it back to the converter. Thank you.

steelandcanvas

As long as the converter ground is to "frame" the systems should not see any different potential. So yes you can use "frame".
Although I agree with DrGreg, I would run my negative all the way back to the converter. This will eliminate any "to frame" grounding connection problems. Just my 2 cents.:-D

rlwm211

You convertor instructions should address this issue.
I know from my ham radio experience that I run a ground for any heavy load to the battery.

If you are running a heavy load on this invertor, you may be increasing the resistance of the circuit by NOT running your ground to the invertor.

Since the capacity of the invertor is limited, I would use the most direct and efficient way to ground my 12 volt devices and that would be to the invertor itself.

Blood_of_Tyrants

(Puts on electrical engineer hat) Yes, you can use the frame as ground. But as others have said, these trucks are 40 years old or older and the ground connections between the cab tub and chassis and battery may not be so great. It would not be a bad idea to put a new bonding strap between the cab tub and the frame. I would use #4 AWG with crimped or soldered connections with a 1/4" ring lug. After connection is established, slather well with wheel bearing grease to seal moisture out.

Last edited:

rideni

Oh god don't use wheel bearing grease use a silicon di-electric compound or liquid electrical tape or anything but bearing grease
yuck talk about a mess

hedelta

Thanks for all the input. 99 percent done the wiring still need to install the boxes for the bus bars here are some pics of the lights and some other add ons

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks