• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electrical questions

Armywelder

Hey guys im new to the forum so bear with me. I bought my cucv about 2 years ago already converted to 12v. It has been a complete electrical and starting nightmare since. After many burned up starters and altenators I think I might of got it right. Due to my front fender rotting away I moved the batteries to the back and connected them to the bus bars that are near the passenger side rear seat. Positive connect to positive then to the bar and negative conected to negative then to the bar. It works but doesnt seem to be getting the full juice it should. Is this a safe setup and if so what might be the problem? Think each battery is 800 or 1000 cca.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Putting batteries inside the cabin is a bad idea.

Without more info on how it is wired we are just guessing. Need pics, description, etc.

It also helps to tell us what truck you are working on. Since you said rear passenger seat, we can assume it is a M1009

Armywelder

Yes it is an m1009. I will take some pictures of the setup tomorrow. I know its not the best idea for batteries inside the truck but with the way its rotting out it either that or risk having a battery fall out while driving.

glassk

connected them to the bus bars that are near the passenger side rear seat
sounds like you are using

FIGURE 46. RADIO FEED HARNESS (M1009).
TM9-2320-289-34P

radio bus.jpg

2cents

Armywelder

Yes I know the fact that I didnt use red for positive and black for negative is going to piss someone off, its all I had for now. If it works I will match color. But basically its positive connected to the positive then connected to the top bus bar and negative connected to negative then to the lower bus bar

dependable

Putting batteries inside the cabin is a bad idea.
This is a real safety issue. If you put them in cab, they should be secured and in a battery box of some kind. It would be best if it was vented outside cab. Ever get a lungful of acid fumes? Not to mention shorts, acid burns and fires if there is an accident.

85CUCVtom

This is a real safety issue. If you put them in cab, they should be secured and in a battery box of some kind. It would be best if it was vented outside cab. Ever get a lungful of acid fumes? Not to mention shorts, acid burns and fires if there is an accident.
I'm with dependable on this. A real bad idea. Repair the wheel well and battery trays and put them back under the hood.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need the ground going directly to the block and the pos should go straight to the starter relay . Your creating resistance the way you have it wired , it will continue to eat altenators and starters ,

Armywelder

I work in a sheetmetal shop so making a box isnt a problem. Should I move it closer to the rear? I dont own a welder so replacing that fender is out of the question for now... this just needs to get me through the wicked winter. So where is the starter relay?