• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ellsworth Deuce Recovery

SGT Estum

Going through my fuel tickets and backing out the five gallons of water, it appears the truck made almost 11 mpg on the trip home and running around town here, in spite of all the extended idle time. That really surprised me, I did not expect to see it make 10 mpg.
Did you keep track of MPG for the M1008 too? I bet it didn't beat the deuce by much. :)

91W350

Did you keep track of MPG for the M1008 too? I bet it didn't beat the deuce by much. :)
The deuce beat the M1008 this trip. Normally the M1008 gets 14 to 17 mpg, but it had at least one injector go down and it was hurting. I hated to run it that way, but we had to get there. It ran great to Scotland SD, then after I shut down to visit Troy, it was sick. It was running about 9 mpg, so yeah, the deuce was doing better pulling the M1008 than the M1008 was doing on its own. Glen

91W350

I have not tried to get them in it yet, I am off tomorrow though and I will try that one at a time. I would probably need a ramp for the bed. Sir used to have that kind of leaping ability, but he is like me, putting on pounds.... Buddy can run like crazy, but never was one to jump fences or over the bed rail of the M1008 like Sir would. At one time, Sir could take a couple of steps and jump into the bed of the truck, right over the tail gate or bedside without touching the outside of the box. I think those days are gone. You can bet if I get one in there, I will post a photo. Glen

91W350

I was doing the instant messaging thing with my nitro engine modder from Winnipeg, we were talking about my trip in the deuce. He sent me this link, now I am sure everytime I go down the highway, this will be stuck in my head. Not that it is bad.... 8) Glen

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcCNcgoyG_0[/media]

deuceman51

Glen,
Glad you made it home safe. Karl told me about your troubles and I think you two have earned the golden wrench award for your artic recovery trip. It definately was a memorable one. I was happy to have you guys at my place and hopefully you can come back when it's warmer, lol. Karl is an amazing guy and a great friend. You were in good hands with him. It was great meeting you also.

91W350

Thanks Troy, I was wanting to pick up a filter set, but you were not around. We fried my spares in a hurry. If you sell those lock sets you loaned me, shoot me a PM. You place was a highlight. Very neat projects going on and loads of really nice eye candy to soak up. I hope she keeps running last it she has been. This bump the starter switch and she's a smoking is wonderful. It was mid 20's this morning and I am not sure two pistons hit TDC before it was running. I feel lucky! I am absolutely sure I could drive it back up there with no issues at all. Thanks for all of your tips, we did not need them, but it was great to have them in my back pocket. Glen

91W350

A buddy wanted a ride, so I recruited him to take some photos of the old girl climbing the hill at Coronado Heights.... I took a few around the castle and grounds as well. On the way home we stopped by the Salemsborg Church, what an awesome building!

Attachments

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glen that old girl goes with everything known to man AND the BLACK smoke just adds to the beauty! GREAT pics
KK

Oilleaker1

Glen, glad you made it. If you get back to the Hills and want a cold one and some good war stories about green stuff, stop in. I as you, have had nothing but good experiences with SS guys. Bring Troy along when you come, he can show you where I'm at or call and I'll come get you. Nice looking truck, and I just can't believe all the water. Bad station tank or they left the cap off? Got to be from a gas station being from dry SD climate. John aka Oilleaker1

91W350

Thanks John, I had a lot of good support and a couple of back up plans. I even had a cheap semi ride home if I needed it. I think we drove through or very close to through Crook City in 2007. That is beautiful country. I want to come back and buy Gene the meal I owe him and make a trip through the Needles. You are close and I will not forget to PM or call when we come up. We had a brand new car last time and a motor home tried to peel the nose off at a gas station. 1200 miles on the car at Hot Springs....

I do wonder about the water, I am thinking it was in the tank as my fuel cap does not fit snug at all. It kind of rests on the tank. There is a drain hole in the corner of the bed and I know water splatters from the corner of the tank as we watched plenty of that action at the Case dealer. I am going to say there was a frozen slab of ice in the bottom of the tank... A mistake I will never make again, it is not that hard to take that tank plug lose and see for sure what resides in the bottom of the tank. Glen

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Great action shots, love the new avatar.

Glad you are enjoying the deuce-I think they are the best thing on wheels.

91W350

Thanks Clinto, it was fun. I have a tow bar to return and I think I have a couple of stops to make while I am over that way. The deuce sure draws a lot of attention. I get a lot of what do you want that thing for and I get a lot of thumbs up. Glen

91W350

I put another 240 miles on the old girl today, I returned all of my borrowed merchandise and fixed the shut down cable, made a tag bracket, cleaned a bunch of junk out of the cab... The dogs would not climb in, I let them mill around for a while, I may need a ramp! Glen

dynodave1

Great Recovery story guys with photos to boot, makes me want a Deuce even more. I've been stuck on the cucv's for a few years now. Maybe it's time to grow up.
Karl thanks for leading me to the thread.
Great Post

bbftx

Congrats on the new deuce, Glen.
I grew up in Rapid City. My Dad's last army assignment was advisor to SD Natl Guard --- so that coyote silhouette on your truck looks real familiar. I visited Ellsworth all the time too.
But I don't need that -11* stuff anymore. I like visiting the Black Hills in the summer.
Enjoy your deuce!
BBF TX

Last edited:

Bighurt

Congrats on the new deuce, Glen.
I grew up in Rapid City. My Dad's last army assignment was advisor to SD Natl Guard --- so that coyote silhouette your truck has looks real familiar. I visited Ellsworth all the time too.
But I don't need that -11* stuff anymore. I like visiting the Black Hills in the summer.
Enjoy your deuce!
BBF TX
Not to get off track but that Sugga is Bad A$$!!!