• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Emergency brake problems

mtech

I have been working on the e-brake and found part of my problem with it sticking. Found the return spring missing, as well as a clip. Have been searching the TM section and am not getting the details I want. Would anyone be willing to take some photos for me? Any tips or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Josh

JRBAMATEX

The spring is not that big of a deal. I replaced the rear output seal on my T-case today so I have fresh info on the emergency break. There are two springs. The return spring and a stablizer spring that pulls the other direction. The return spring is not a super strong spring but it is "Semi tough". Just go to NAPA or any parts store really and get one of those spring assortment blister packs of springs. The coil is about 3.5 to 4 inches long and about 3/8th's diameter and needs about the same length of straight ends on both ends. Get that and then make the appropriate bends on each end. You'll be good to go.

I use one of these types for my stabilizer (the other spring) works great.

Good luck,
JR

mtech

JR,
Thanks for the info. I was planning on going to NAPA, but wasn't sure on measurement. Also there is a wire clip toward the bottom. Any info on that?

JRBAMATEX

If you look at Cranetrucks handbrake.jpg picture where it says Step 1 adj outer shoe. On mine there is a small hole through the arm about where the line bisects in the picture. Through that hole is a cotter pin. The loop on the end of the cotter pin is on the outside (toward the frame rail) then back on the frame rail there is a small tab that sticks out and has a small hole in it. So there is a spring (the one I was talking about above) between that frame tab and the cotter pin. Then there is also a spring kind of like the spring that is shown in the picture above. Thats the one I was calling the "Stabilizer". I call it the stabilizer because when it wasn't there the break clanked and made a terrible noise at speed. So I put it in and that stabilized things. All that said. I don't have that adjusting screw set up on mine like in Cranetrucks picture. But it works good doesn't rub or make noise and the break is so strong I think I do one of those emergency break slides like we used to do when we were kids.

Can you imagine doing an emergency break slide in a deuce? Wheewwww!!!!!

MATT

The diagram is not correct for the M35. JR is correct, all you need is the spring that attaches to the lever that has the hole in it for the adjustment cable. You do not need the wire clip on the bottom of the assembly. I can probably get a spring for you if needed.

Boatcarpenter

I replaced the spring on the eccentric stabilizer pin as it was broken and it made the two shoes apply much more evenly and not ride on the drum when released. I very lightly lubed all the pivot points after loosening everything up and now it works slick as can be.

mtech

Boatcarpenter,
No luck on parts from Saturn. You said that you replaced the spring on the eccentric stabilizer, this is still the part I need, did you purchase it or did you find a used one?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got one of those on ebay some time ago, the "mustach" spring. :)
Still have the old one, slightly used but you may have it if you get me your mailing address.

mtech

cranetruck said:
I got one of those on ebay some time ago, the "mustach" spring. :)
Still have the old one, slightly used but you may have it if you get me your mailing address.
Cranetruck,

Sent you a PM with mailing address.

CGarbee

I paid something like five dollars for a platic box with an assortment of "E" clips at my local Agri-Supply. At least ten of them in the box are the correct size for the bigger clips on the p-brake asembly (the ones that hold the shoes themselves in place on the big pins) and there were a bunch of them the correct size for holding the "mustche spring" in place...
Thanks for the pointer on Antelope...

Trango

when I got my deuce, my "mustache" spring was broken, so I just took some 16ga or something steel, and drilled out two holes the right bore and made a replacement strap. Worked like a charm.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks