• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Emergency Flashers Inop

mdemars03

So I tried searching but came up empty handed on this one. My emergency flashers decided to stop working on me the other day. I drove the truck to work and all was good on my pre trip prior to leaving the house and all was fine. I go to start the truck to go home and checked all my lights (working a night shift so I wanted to make sure all the lights were good) and my emergency flashers weren't working. I get both left and right signals when activated individually but when I push the tab down and go for the emergency flashers I get no lights on the flasher switch in the cab and none of the lights outside the truck light up front or rear.

Do I have a flasher relay going bad, a bad switch, or could there be something else going on? I looked in the 24-1 TM for electrical troubleshooting but came up empty handed there as well.

Any advice or if you can point me in the right direction in the TM would be greatly appreciated.

mdemars03

No. I was doing a pre trip inspection before leaving work to drive home. Hit the left and right signals and all was good. Went to check the emergency flashers and while outside the truck there were no lights flashing and when I got back in the indicator on the turn signal switch was not flashing.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You did move the lever as well as "push the tab down"?

Gunzy

Most likely cause is the T/S switch. I say that because the flasher and turn signals are working.

mdemars03

That was my thought as well, I just wanted to get an opinion from people who have been around these longer then me and have more expirence. I guess I will try opening up the switch and cleaning the contacts to see if that helps any.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any luck?

Did you buy a new signal switch?

I keep a spare brand new one for this very reason.
Did clean up original one that was having issues and it's still working great.
Updated flasher to new style since I have all led lights.
So far so good

tbar123

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. My 84 M923 had the same problem. It turned out to be a broken ground from the rear side marker light. I changed it out with a spare and everything started working again.

mdemars03

I haven't had a chance to work on the truck recently. Work got crazy last week and then my wife just had surgery. I need to get her through some recovery from her surgery and then will get back to it and will let you know.

mdemars03

Thanks tbar. That is greatly appreciated. She is doing good. Still in pain but getting better. I'm hoping in a day or two to be able to get to work on the truck once she is in better shape to do more on her own. Or if I can I will sneak out while she is asleep and pull the signal switch and bring it inside to clean it and see what happens. Just need to take care of family first then the MV hobby second.

mdemars03

So I had some time to work on it today which is a good thing because I want to take my truck to one of the 4th of July fireworks shows here. I ended up with dirty contacts and a somewhat loose connection. I went to take the signal switch off and noticed the cable that connects to the switch was slightly loose, like a turn and a half loose. I also opened up the signal switch and cleaned all the contacts. I was hesitant about opening up the switch because last time I did it didn't want to go back together correctly and I ended up having to buy a new one. Knowing that I couldn't get one in time for tomorrow I decided to clean the contacts.

So now I have working emergency flashers and turn signals. Everything there is good. Now to the next issue at hand... air leaks. I have another thread for that one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks