• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Emergency lmtv brake help

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My mistake they are $165 from NAPA. About the best price I can find is on eBay at the moment:

Make sure yours looks like this one. The plastic cartridge that is under the big aluminum dome on the top.

Rick

MRAP DREAM GIRL

Rick,
You are too cool thank you so much. We want to make sure that's right so tomorrow I'll take a picture and post it. Basically it's a big black smooth cylinder with what looks like an aluminum base and lots of bolts to hold it together.

As always thanks
K

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
OK, we are home Rick and your suggestion is first thing on the agenda. Thank you sir. We have tools coming out of our ears, soldier A is a tool junkie. We need to source a new drier cartridge and find the instructions on how to perform the procedure. Our biggest problem now that we are in fact home is time to come up with the time to read the ridiculous amount of pages in the manuals to actually find what we need. We are remodeling our home to try and get it on the market as soon as possible, so we can go do our off grid homestead. That is actually why we bought this truck.

Thank you for all the help, K
all the TM's for your truck fit on a little 8 dollar Sandisk thumbdrive so you can access them anywhere.
Put all the TM's for your truck in puter in one place. PDF files are easy. Open any PDF and click Ctrl and F at the same time and you get a search box.
Put something like air dryer into that search box and the PDF will goto all the instances for air dryer within that TM.

Try TM9-2320-365-20-3 paragraph 23-6
25. AIR DRYER. Service air dryer (para 23-6) every 12,000 miles (19,308 km) or annually, whichever occurs first

For the air dryer desiccant changeout that is in TM9-2320-365-20-5 paragraph 23-15

You needed the trouble shooting found in TM 9-2320-365-20-2.
Search that for the word desiccant and find 17 instances of your air dryer failure humans freezing and can not get home problem.

Assure you know the differences between the AO and A1 trucks .........

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I was surprized that I can not find the air dryer replacement desiccant cartridge
anywhere for the LMTV AO and/or A1 trucks. That is because it was not a "cartridge, but a "kit"

The original Haldex part 06721 and Oshkosh 45152 (NSN 440-01-337-7324) is a kit.

An hours labor and it is done.
It may have 22888 on the bag itself.

A Graver complete kit is Graver 419784

75 bucks and done, can't imagine what Cat at $150 and hour would charge.
Or how about 66 bucks

Attachments

Last edited:

MRAP DREAM GIRL

So, Ladies & Gentlemen this is the air dryer unit I have on my truck. When we stopped in Laramie, WY on the way home a very nice and knowledgeable Laramie police officer pulled up next to the truck when he saw the cab up. He has had the same truck for 3 years and was kind of a 1078 guru. He told us this unit was one of the better upgrades. I'm sure he is on SS, just don't know his call sign.IMG_1676.JPGIMG_1677.JPG

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok that does NOT use the cartridge I linked to previously. The one Iinked is for the Haldex unit on my A1R:

IMG_20220107_160657150.jpg

I would say - based on the lack of matching sand-colored paint that it's been upgraded.

MRAP DREAM GIRL

My mistake they are $165 from NAPA. About the best price I can find is on eBay at the moment:

Make sure yours looks like this one. The plastic cartridge that is under the big aluminum dome on the top.

Rick
So, Rick the link you provided here matches the cartridge sold by midwest for $176 to a T pretty sure that's what we need. However, Soldier A's OCD being as bad as it is he wants to take the canister off and see for himself first hand.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, Rick the link you provided here matches the cartridge sold by midwest for $176 to a T pretty sure that's what we need. However, Soldier A's OCD being as bad as it is he wants to take the canister off and see for himself first hand.
I think his intuition (OCD) is on the right track. Doing a little searching I would tentatively say you have a (much more common) Bendix AD-9 Dryer or a knock off of same (it appears to be a popular design that is copied):

If that's the case then it's a popular unit and cartridges are much cheaper but seemingly more time consuming to change - looks like you have to essentially dismount the whole unit to change out the cartridge...... The one on my truck took about 10 minutes to change since it's just 4 bolts and the top comes off without dismounting anything. For that my cartridges are $100 more expensive though. I would almost rather spend the extra labor and be able to get them cheaper and the AD-9 cartridge appears really common also.

Rick

Ned81

I’m having dryer problems too. I have 1078A0 with the original finned dryer. Which upgrade fits the older trucks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ned81

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That one appears to be 12v. Do you know if there is a 24v option?
Would this one work?

AIR DRYER - 24 VOLT 24V - AD-9 AD9 STYLE https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07583F29H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_J2TMTQ33KRX5V3VAXZ8G

Yeah looks like that's a candidate. My only concern is are the mounting straps included? They are included with the original Bendix unit.

The original Bendix AD-9 24v part numbers seems to be 65224 (includes mounting bracket and wiring harness):

Mounting bracket is available separately also:

If you want the A1R style like my truck, it's a Haldex N50011H:

Rick

Last edited:

Ronmar

I’m having dryer problems too. I have 1078A0 with the original finned dryer. Which upgrade fits the older trucks?

Have you cleaned your old one? Frank put a link to my video on how to do it.

All these dryers work on the exact same principal, the moist air passes thru the porus media and the moisture coalesces out of the air into droplets and gravity pulls those to the bottom to collect. The purge cycle exhausts the collected water. The only real difference is they put the desiccant and filtration into a cartridge on the new style that is easier to replace, but impossible to simply clean and service…

The old style actually has some good design going for it, with the large heat exchanger/cooler and it has a long pass dessicant chamber which gives more time for the air to transfer moisture. It may actually contain more media which means more surface area to coalesce…

Havn’t been able to find any specs on the old units though, but in the end they all are more than adequate if properly serviced, and the new ones will give just as much problem if neglected. This posting is the 3rd problem with newer dryers failing I have heard of in just the past few months.

As mentioned, dry air is the life blood of the brake system, and you must take care of the dryer…

Ned81

Have you cleaned your old one? Frank put a link to my video on how to do it.

All these dryers work on the exact same principal, the moist air passes thru the porus media and the moisture coalesces out of the air into droplets and gravity pulls those to the bottom to collect. The purge cycle exhausts the collected water. The only real difference is they put the desiccant and filtration into a cartridge on the new style that is easier to replace, but impossible to simply clean and service…

The old style actually has some good design going for it, with the large heat exchanger/cooler and it has a long pass dessicant chamber which gives more time for the air to transfer moisture. It may actually contain more media which means more surface area to coalesce…

Havn’t been able to find any specs on the old units though, but in the end they all are more than adequate if properly serviced, and the new ones will give just as much problem if neglected. This posting is the 3rd problem with newer dryers failing I have heard of in just the past few months.

As mentioned, dry air is the life blood of the brake system, and you must take care of the dryer…
Mine just started leaking out of the top where it bolts on. I have seen so many people upgrade that I figured this was a good time to do so.
I’ll check out your video

MRAP DREAM GIRL

OK Gentlemen, here is tonight's bedtime story.

MR OCD started the day with a couple of rounds of the purple degreaser, followed by a good soap wash of the area, and finally a good blow dry. No wondering minds here lol

We ended up having to take the entire thing out to remove the cartridge. There are no identifying numbers or markings on the casted base or cartridge, very suspicious. This whole assembly was beyond disgusting.

So, if I can get a couple of confirming opinions, I'm going to say this is indeed the Bendix AD-9. If that is truly the case I have found replacement cartridges for $28 if we buy in bulk. Soldier A thinks we should put in a new unit and run the truck for 30 days and change out again to try and get as much crud out of the system as possible. God he is anal! When he turned the assembly upside down this little spring and ball thing fell out of somewhere. Gotta figure out where. IMG_1683.JPGIMG_1683.JPGIMG_1684.JPGIMG_1685.JPGIMG_1686.JPGIMG_1687.JPGIMG_1687.JPGIMG_1692.JPGIMG_1695.JPGIMG_1696.JPG

Ronmar

OK Gentlemen, here is tonight's bedtime story.

MR OCD started the day with a couple of rounds of the purple degreaser, followed by a good soap wash of the area, and finally a good blow dry. No wondering minds here lol

We ended up having to take the entire thing out to remove the cartridge. There are no identifying numbers or markings on the casted base or cartridge, very suspicious. This whole assembly was beyond disgusting.

So, if I can get a couple of confirming opinions, I'm going to say this is indeed the Bendix AD-9. If that is truly the case I have found replacement cartridges for $28 if we buy in bulk. Soldier A thinks we should put in a new unit and run the truck for 30 days and change out again to try and get as much crud out of the system as possible. God he is anal! When he turned the assembly upside down this little spring and ball thing fell out of somewhere. Gotta figure out where. View attachment 855515View attachment 855515View attachment 855516View attachment 855517View attachment 855518View attachment 855519View attachment 855519View attachment 855520View attachment 855521View attachment 855522
It looks like an AD9…

The dryer is not like an oil filter, it only filters/dries the air being injected into the system, so if anything got past the old cartridge, its in the system and swapping cartridges won’t fix that. Just keep the others sealed and change them annually.

You can get an idea if anything got past by draining the tanks and disconnecting lines downstream of the tanks.(The 2 lines feeding the treadle valve behind the drivers side grill are excellent candidates). Then while holding a rag loosely over the ends of the lines, close the tank drains and start the truck and let some flow build up and see if anything comes out into the “snot rag” then shutdown. You can do the same to the tanks while you drain them to see if anything comes out…

unfortunately the wet tank appears to be plumbed incorrectly on most of these trucks, so only about 1/3 of the air consumed by the brakes actually passes thru it. If all the air passed thru that tank it should catch most of the debris/crap. This is easy to fix by the way…

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's a LOT of water, and enough oil to make milkshake......

I'm not (yet) an LMTV expert, but one thing I DO KNOW is compressor and compressed air systems. I spent several years working for Roger's Machinery both assembling compressors from parts for the rental fleet and rebuilding recip (piston) air compressors. To this day I'm a compressor snob - my personal garage unit being a Quincy QR-325 on an 80 gallon vertical tank. Completely custom build.... would probably run about $6,000 retail to recreate it.

The compressor could probably use new rings. How many miles are on this unit? Clearly someone swapped the drier..... must have been reasons for that.

That drier cartridge is SIGNIFICANTLY nastier than mine was (no milkshake in mine - just SOAKED in water) - and mine destroyed the compressor. It caused backpressure and it overheated the top end of the compressor - the springs in the disc valves lost their temper and broke into multiple pieces. This led to the compressor building air slowly and really only at high engine rpm like cruising at 50 mph..... and making a lot more heat than it should - one of the discs split into multiple pieces, a chunk of which slipped into the cylinder and punched a hole through a piston. This was THE END for the compressor which not only didn't make any air at that point, if you revved the engine enough it was pushing air through the piston and into the engine crankcase and it pushed a couple quarts of oil out of the engine breather.

IMG_20211016_135135_01.jpg
IMG_20211016_152830_01.jpg

My truck has 5800 miles on it. The compressor was not worn out. It was damaged from that drier. I'm concerned because that's a ton of water and also there's oil mixed in with it.

I would recommend a top-end rebuild of the compressor. At the very least get a head gasket for it and pull the head for a complete disc-valve inspection.

Haldex has a part number listing for a reman cylinder head assembly. Might not be a bad idea. Easy and quick.

If you want to pull the compressor for a full rebuild PLEASE send it to the good people at Brake Systems Inc. They are local to me and went above and beyond to find me a core (in Texas), ship it in, and they had it rebuilt the same day it arrived at their shop. And it works flawlessly. Can't say enough good things about these guys. Old fashioned customer service:

Rick

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks