• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Emergency shutdown

Bigmillman

Like mentioned before... In a run away, you don't have time too fool around. Just put it in the highest gear ASAP and double foot the brakes while pulling the parking brake. (Assuming your shut sown cable broke)
It is better to potentially fubar your p brake and bend some stuff then to launch into a crowd. Like mentioned by others "DRIVE YOUR TRUCK" it was built for it and it keeps it happy! Inspect the livin' stuff out of it before you drive helps too. :driver:

positive air valve...

If your totally spooked about it,you can try and pick up a positive air shut-down valve...it's basically a flapper valve(guilotine style) that is spring loaded,and trips when a cable is pulled or a solinoid is switched.

we have to have them on all our diesel equipment that we intend to operate in gas plants or refineries,just in case a nearby gas leak starts to fuel the engine externally.it's amazing what a diesel will run on...h2s,natural gas,hydrogen,methane,propane...you name it.the valve totally blocks the intake...nothing gets in,so no air,which means no fire.

www.roadadeaco.com makes a good one.thev'e been around for a while,but certainly aren't the only manufactuers out there.some of the latest can be shut down wirelessly,by remote.a new one (deuce sized) will cost some serious coin.anyplace that sells used heavy truck parts might have one on the shelf gathering dust

and yes...a runaway 6-53 is an awsome thing to see.and hear!sounds to me an awful lot like a blown dragster at end track,followed by some horrible mechanical noise...rare though.way less common on four strokes,turboed or not.todays turboes are way more reliable than the early ones.

also...if your looking for a security measure,a tripped air valve means the engine absolutely will not start.some thief fumbling around in the dark trying to steal your deuce will never find it,or even know what it is.as a safety measure at a show,a tripped valve means that no child or sticky fingered kid who happens to see keys will be able to start the truck.

tjcouch

jd-ford-hd said:
The older two stroke Detroits are the ones to be scared of!!.
Don't know if it is "urban legend" or not, but a diesel mechanic told me they had a run away in the shop. When the tried to starve it of air with the yellow pages, it ingested the book and blew it out the stack, and then blew up.

scooter01922

keep a CO2 fire extinguisher handy if your worried about a runaway, should have one on hand anyway. Just discharge it into the intake and that ought to kill it pretty darned quick.

tmbrwolf

30 years working on them never had a runaway in a multifuel, had them go WOT with a sticking govenor, or when the throttle spring breaks (good case for a double spring), on the other hand the detroit's, I've had a couple of them go, mostly from the fuel rack getting loose or miss adjusted, when that happens RUN FOR THE HILLS!

cleb

I've had the throttle spring go. I would keep a spare around, they rust and break pretty easily. I was able to pull it back with my toe next to/under the accelerator, and make a field repair.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks