• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine and Crate Size Questions

armytruckdiesel

I'm picking up a Cummins NHC 250 this next week which is in the military steel crate. My question is how much will this weigh? I'm guessing 3,000lbs with the crate??

Also how big is the shipping container for bottom dimensions? Will this fit in the bed of my Dually 3500 Dodge long bed pickup bed and clear the wheel wells?

Thanks,
Andy

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A multifuel in the can will fit in a pickup truck. The multifuel in a can weighs around 3000#. The NHC250 will weigh more. I'd guess closer to 3500#. I'd say as long as the engine is sitting slightly forward of the rear axle, the Dodge would handle it. If you have a bedliner I would make sure it is securely strapped down. A crisis stop could put that thing in the front seat of even a crew cab.

armytruckdiesel

thanks

Kenny,
Thanks for the information. I agree with you on that this wouldn't be the ideal situation for a panic stop. I do have a crew cab but I don't need a backseat or worse yet frontseat NHC 250 buddy. The tie downs Dodge provides in the bed are just bolted to the sheet metal so they really don't provide me with the "Feel Good Factor". I'll just drive slow and keep my distance and hope for the best. Say your prayers for me and my truck!
Andy

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: thanks

Andy, perhaps you can take some cribbing and crib from the bulkhead of the bed back to the can. At least if you do have a crisis stop, the engine can't get a head start.

deuce_m35a2

I would def get a trailer ( a reliable one ) I made the mistake of picking up my multifuel from GL last month with an older trailer, after 3 hrs on the side of the road, A broken weld on the trailer from trying to jack the trailer off the truck, a blown out tire, and a $180- towing bill. I should of rented a newer one. I also thought about putting it in the bed of my F350 dually, but decided not to.
It probably would've fit in the bed, but even with the engine on the trailer, my truck was riding pretty low... ( and yours will weigh more!! )
good luck

m139h2otruck

I know that a gasser weighs about 2,000# w/o a can and the multi slightly less. My best guess for a big 855 Cummins is between 2,500 and 2,800# without the can.

papercu

engine

I just happen to have one in the backyard it is about 6 foot long and about 45 inches wide. I don't remember the weight but it IS heavy. I brought mine home on a regular 16 foot trailer but it made the M816 lean over I picked it up. Mine is for sale, the tag read "knocking and fuel in oil" I used the water pump and the power steering unit, rest is how you see it. Wayne

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks