• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine and trans swap done

ranchhopper

Well I didnt get the truck done before the cold weather sets in looks like a spring time finish but heres some pics with the sheetmetal put on I have to paint the front clip this spring. I have had too many projects to finish up this fall the kind that pay so this truck got put to the end of the line it needs the wiring done which will be 12 volt I will not be useing the original deuce wiring harness as seen by all the wires hanging all over in the pics. The truck started up and ran great a couple weeks ago now I have to figure a way to reverse the throw of the clutch the deuce is opposite of the five ton and it has a five ton trans in it .I have one more cat engine left which is the non turbo version and installing this one gave me some ideas where I can move the engine ahead another four inches allowing for the use of a 545 allison automatic on the next one.

Attachments

ranchhopper

Heres a few more of the unfinished truck the mirrors, fenders, power steering hoses, wiring, exhaust and a few other minor things to do on it like weld in a rubber flap where the steering column goes through the inner fender to give it a more finished look and it will be on the road.

Attachments

Last edited:

tm america

I really like what you did with the bed...that should mean alot since i'm not a big fan of bobbers..you did alot of hard work and nice fab work on this truck. i'm guessing alot the engine driven acc. are going to be mounted on top of the engine?Doesn't look like theres alot of room next to the engine for an alt or air compressor?..What is the weight of that engine? bobbers have really poor weight distribution even with a multi...That front end will probably dig straight to china once you hit some soft ground ....You might really think about putting some lockers in there ..Nice work lots on new ideas on this truck

ranchhopper

The engine weighs in right about 1800 pounds the alternator will fit on the passenger side I can get the compressor to clear the hood bolted to the top of the engine. Im kicking around the idea of useing an electric compressor putting it in the tool box under the drivers side I have been told they work well but I will have all winter to research it. I am trying to keep the engine bay as uncluttered as possible Im sure it will require a tweak here and there as all custom built truck seem to need.I have not decided to run the intake outside and sit an air cleaner unit on the right side fender I have several from M52s that will work or use the stock cat intake set up that sits on the engine itself. Thanks for the compliments makes all the days of swearing and getting burnt with hot metal worth the trouble Im going to start the other one in the spring I guess Im a glutton for punishment.

powersmoke18

sweet!! don't rag on the 3208 i've seen em bumped up to 450hp running 2800rpm all day long!! they are great engines!! just gotta take care of them!! that truck sure is impressive!

Billy Bobbed

That was my bobbed truck the state gave me so much grief titling it I disassembled it and sold off the parts I even had it on ebay 95% finished and no buyers so I disassembled it.

This is what he told me on another thread.

Last edited:

ranchhopper

Gotta love state run agencies manned by pin heads it didnt have to end that way but they wouldnt let me title it the way I wanted to keep me out of trouble if sold to someone in a state that had manditory truck inspections. On the bright side it brought way more cash when sold off in parts than I had into it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks