• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine block cracked

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try a sealant like the Alumaseal or Barr's Leak and cut a notch in the rubber seal on the spring loaded part of the pressure radiator cap to remove pressure. We do not run pressure on any of our vehicles. If the cooling system is in good order, you will not have a problem. Amazing how much less radiator, water pump, etc. repair we do without the pressure! It might not leak without the pressure. This might scare some, but it has worked for me on vehicles, construction equipment, and farm equipment for 40 years or more here in N. central Indiana. Now I am telling my approximate age!!:D
Regards Marti

JasonS

Try a sealant like the Alumaseal or Barr's Leak and cut a notch in the rubber seal on the spring loaded part of the pressure radiator cap to remove pressure. We do not run pressure on any of our vehicles. If the cooling system is in good order, you will not have a problem. Amazing how much less radiator, water pump, etc. repair we do without the pressure! It might not leak without the pressure. This might scare some, but it has worked for me on vehicles, construction equipment, and farm equipment for 40 years or more here in N. central Indiana. Now I am telling my approximate age!!:D
Regards Marti
While it may not be a problem with the dry sleeve multifuel, running a zero-pressure cooling system will increase the likelihood of cavitation erosion in wet sleeve engines.

chemicaljohn

So I fixed this crack in August, just haven't got around to posting pics of it. I went with stitching pins. For $125 I got 25 pins, tapping fluid, thread sealant, 2 drill bits and 1 tap. I used around 6 pins for the repair and it took about an hour to do. I've only been able to drive the truck twice since then, but nothing is leaking. If you ask me, this repair beats the crap out of anything else I could have done.

In the pic with the penetrant, the bright spot is from the first hole I drilled with a 1/8" bit to get the thickness. The very faint line below that is the crack.

Attachments

chemicaljohn

They people at Lock N Stitch were great.... very helpful, and their website explains just about anything you want to know. For the price and how long it took for the repair you can't beat it with a stick, in my opinion.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks