• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine Choice?

123pv

Is a brand new crate 6.5 diesel, a good swap for my 6.2 I have read many forums, the timing chain is a common failure. Any thing else I should change or get checked often so I do not end up with a cracked block leaking oil. while im sleeping inside my truck on side of the road. Is changing the timing chain to straight gears better?

my vin# is1 6 bhd34 j3 g f 4 33 822

1986 reg cab cucv. with 6.2 what year is the engine?
I went to start it last week horbile engine noise, not the valves. Towed it to a mechanic the next day, the noise was gone. He did rebuild the alternators. and fuel pump. ( he did not look at the timing chain. I want to change the timing chain to gears. ) im scared if I turn it over again. & not at home.

Last edited by a moderator:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think a HMMWV pull out GEP 6.5 is a good option. Don't get a GM made 6.5 due to the cracks issue.

Barrman

Timing chains don’t break all that often. I can’t remember ever even reading about a broken 6.? Timing chain. Stretch, yes. But they still run fine.

How is does your harmonic balancer look when the engine is running? Wobble?

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"I went to start it last week horbile engine noise, not the valves. Towed it to a mechanic the next day, the noise was gone. He did rebuild the alternators. and fuel pump. ( he did not look at the timing chain. I want to change the timing chain to gears. )"

This is just a suggestion... you can post up a video of the sound and maybe someone here can help. I know I tend to freak out if something goes wrong with any of my trucks but usually it ends up being not really that bad. Also from the few 6.2l engines I have heard they all kind of sound slappy... If that is a word:shrugs:

Wire Fox

I've also heard of issues with timing gears. Basically, use the system you engine was built with. Every system needs to have some movement tolerance and stretch. When you switch to gears, you eliminate one of those tolerance points and put extra, unengineered stress on something else in the engine. Personally, I'd rather wear out two timing chains before having to deal with just about anything else in the engine.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
[/QUOTE]
I went to start it last week horbile engine noise, not the valves. Towed it to a mechanic the next day, the noise was gone. He did rebuild the alternators. and fuel pump. ( he did not look at the timing chain. I want to change the timing chain to gears. ) im scared if I turn it over again. & not at home.[/QUOTE]

I may be wrong since I have only read about the 6.2 but I feel like I read somewhere the 6.2l will make horrible "engine" noise but the real common problem is the injectors. I could be feeding you crap though I am sure someone will chime in. but ask your mechanic since he did dive into your fuel system see if he played with your injectors... could be a long shot but I wouldn't change the engine if this was already taken care of.

richingalveston

Leroy diesel has the gears to replace the timing chain
http://leroydiesel.com/products/leroys-db2-timing-gear-set/

chains normally stretch and will run ok. yes more noise will happen with a stretched chain because the timing is off just a little once stretched.

fluid dampner to replace your current one will also decrease the noise level from the engine.

The decrease is very minimal and would not cause an engine to suddenly be louder.

The timing gears will whine a little and can be heard. it will make more noise than the chain.

If you put the gears in it is highly recommended to use the fluid dampner. The gears transfer more harmonics to the crank than the chain thus you need the best harmonic dampner you can get. fluid dampner is $400 vs. regular at around $75.

yes the injectors cause a lot of the noise when they pop but there is nothing to adjust on an injector. it can be rebuilt but normally cheaper to replace.

Badger diesel has good prices on new injectors.

I am still working on my new GEP 6.5 crate engine swap. I at this time cannot get the starter to work on the new engine. getting a drop in v.s. a long block will definitely save some time.

check your starter and make sure it is not dragging on the flywheel or stays engaged once the motor starts. this can make some noise that you would normally not hear.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks