• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine cranks but whirs right before kicking over

Ang2gna

Hello everyone. As the title states, the engine cranks but right as it seems to kick over it stops cranking and makes a whirring sound and won't start. It is an 87 with a 6.5 that seems to have been rebuilt at limestone, Maine in '06. I've checked fuel filter, replaced glow plugs, cleaned all the grounds I can find and added fresh fuel. Batteries have been fully charged. The wait lite comes on for about 5 seconds and I crank for about 10 before it seems to kick over and makes the whirring noise but won't start. Everything is in neutral. I am in Maine and it is currently about 35 degrees so the engine is cold but not cold enough where I think it would have trouble starting. I appreciate any help you can offer.

Ang2gna

Thanks retiredwarhorses and cape coastie. I will check the security of the bolts and shims tomorrow. Is there a way to test the solenoid? If the starter needs to be replaced is it easier to rebuild it or just buy a replacement? Thanks again for your help.

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
Seems like you have checked most things and they look to be in order. If you could check the voltage at the starter while cranking that should verify if you are getting full voltage. Of course it will drop from the starter load but as long as it is constant this will pretty much determine if the solenoid drops out. We always send our starters out to a local shop that rebuilds them for a lot less than new but this guy is an old fashion shop and not too many of those left any more. Let us know how it turns out. I have not removed a starter from a HMMWV personally so another SS may be of more help there. Good luck.

tomelroy

you may have other problems...5 sec on the wait light seems short...10 seconds of cranking is a lot with no start. I would check the cold advance ( i have read that you need to cycle the throttle after/while starting to get it to engage on some trucks) also is you volt meter dropping while the wait light is on? If the glow plugs are heating you will see a drop and the voltage will go up a bit when the wait light is off.

TedG

Dropping a starter is easy, just don't get crushed by it. Its heavy. There are the 2 bolts plus a nut/stud connection point inside the right side motor mount.
Disconnect batteries prior to wrenching.

Ang2gna

Tomelroy I noticed that the voltmeter is not dropping in voltage when the wait light is on. What does that mean? Is that the cold advance solenoid? Thanks. I have not had a chance to drop the starter as church and lunch took a while. I will update when I get a chance to drop and test it. Could the problem just be no power to the glow plugs?

dmetalmiki

Tomelroy I noticed that the voltmeter is not dropping in voltage when the wait light is on. What does that mean? Is that the cold advance solenoid? Thanks. I have not had a chance to drop the starter as church and lunch took a while. I will update when I get a chance to drop and test it. Could the problem just be no power to the glow plugs?
that part of the problem would be no power to the glow plugs.
sound also like the starter is not staying engaged with the flywheel also.

tomelroy

if your voltage does not rise when the wait light extinguishes i would think you are not getting power to the glow plugs. Which type of Engine control box do you have? Make sure the connections to it are tight.

Ang2gna

if your voltage does not rise when the wait light extinguishes i would think you are not getting power to the glow plugs. Which type of Engine control box do you have? Make sure the connections to it are tight.
The box is CARC painted over. Is there a way to tell other than that. I did get a chance to go out and put the batteries back in to see if I could reproduce the whirring. Even though it's in the 20's I was able to consistently reproduce it. The only way I was able get the engine to the point of turning over was to hold the gas petal slightly down. I understand through research that is not uncommon to have to do. So now it seems pretty much confirmed that it is the starter as retiredwarhorses originally suggested. As soon as I get a chance to pull it I will inspect and bench test it to see if it works. I will also try to visually inspect the fly wheel for missing teeth. Anything else I may be missing? Thanks.

tomelroy

Use your smart slave tracker (iphone/android)and post a video of your dash as you try to start. Im curious what the issue is with your starter.

Ang2gna

So, I dropped the starter and the teeth on the fly wheel and starter looked fine. When I bench tested the starter the gear would spin but not pop out. I cleaned the contacts and flipped the disk in the solenoid. Bench tested again and the same: gear spun but would not extend. I'm assuming that something is causing the gear not to stick out and engage the fly wheel. The starter is now at a shop awaiting a rebuild. I will let you guys know how it goes after I get it back and re install it. Merry Christmas!

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, I dropped the starter and the teeth on the fly wheel and starter looked fine. When I bench tested the starter the gear would spin but not pop out. I cleaned the contacts and flipped the disk in the solenoid. Bench tested again and the same: gear spun but would not extend. I'm assuming that something is causing the gear not to stick out and engage the fly wheel. The starter is now at a shop awaiting a rebuild. I will let you guys know how it goes after I get it back and re install it. Merry Christmas!
i have seen the armature break on the Bendix gear or the shouldered cup on the bendix seperate from the gear...either way, they are not hard to repair, you will have more in labor then parts. but I wouldn't spend more then 150.00-175 for a rebuild, you can get NOS starters on Flee bay for 250.00

Ang2gna

I want to thank you guys and resolve this thread in case anyone has the same problem in the future. You all are great and I appreciate the help and advice! I installed the starter after getting it back and she fired right up. Exactly the problem that was suggested. There were problems internally on the starter that was causing the gear not to engage. Everything is great and functioning like it should. I really appreciate the community! Thanks again.

Dsc45shooter

i noticed our starter will crank fast then retract away from flywheel within seconds of spinning. the starter gear keeps spinning or whines away from the flywheel if i hold the start lever