• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine down, blew out all the oil...

ppillard

I decided to skip step 1 (inspect mains) just to get her fired up and out of the middle of my driveway (which was as close as I could get the towing company to drop her).
I capped off the oil level and installed the new oil line with orings. Fired her up. Oil pressure came up to normal and she sounds fine. Took a stethoscope to the engine and could find no knocks or otherwise scary noises.
I’ll take her to the local car wash and get her cleaned up, and go from there.

Asymair95

Whew, you’re the first person I’ve heard of that hasn’t roasted their engine after this line breaks. I need to do mine as it is rusty, sooner than later.

ppillard

Took my driveshafts into a shop today, they examined them and detected a host of problems. Worn splines, one welded slightly out of phase, one out of balance, etc. apparently, either the guys in Dallas seriously screwed me, or these guys are. Either way, I’m gonna shell out some bank.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This time did you take them to Rocky Mountain Driveline? That's who did mine, and I was really satisfied with their work.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys have scared me a little. I have an M35A3 with a CAT 3116 engine. I went out and looked at that oil line. It looks brand new on my engine. However, my engine is very smooth, even while driving. Virtually no vibration other than normal diesel engine noise.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys have scared me a little. I have an M35A3 with a CAT 3116 engine. I went out and looked at that oil line. It looks brand new on my engine. However, my engine is very smooth, even while driving. Virtually no vibration other than normal diesel engine noise.
It's not likely to break. And the dangers aren't in the 3116 engine, it's in the LMTV driveshafts. There are 100,000's of vehicles on the road with 3116 engines.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
A3s don't have near the driveline vibrations that the LMTVs have with the full time 4x4 and planetary hubs.

This being why they have issues with bolts and other things backing out and coming loose.

ppillard

It's been a while since I posted, and for the sake of posterity, I should do so: I received and installed the new driveshafts complete with new U-joints. The 45 mph vibration seems to be completely gone. The guy at RM Driveshaft told me the cardboard dampers were still in place, which means the guys who balanced my driveshafts the first time lied and did NOT do the job that was requested of them and told me they did.

Now that all seems to be running smooth, I have moved on to fix oil leaks on the engine, as it has a few minor ones. First off, I have found a pretty good crack in my front cover, where the compressor mounts, undoubtably caused by driveshaft vibration. Has anyone been able to repair this crack without replacing the whole cover (welding or otherwise)? If not, Awesomeness, do you have access to a used front cover I can purchase?

Asymair95

I remember reading of someone having it welded professionally, but they had to remove the compressor for the guy so he had room to work. Most of the people have just replaced the cover though.

Is your compressor support bracket on the rear by the power steering pump cracked or loose? It seems to be the number one cause of those front cover cracks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks