• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine fan air actuator temperature setpoint

Hawssie

I have a m931A2 I am working on and I am not sure if the fan actuator is working correctly or not. The trucker who picked it up mentioned to me on the phone to take a look at the fan clutch but didn't expand on it. I have not been able to run the truck on the road yet do to other problems, but I was wondering if anyone knows at what temp the air actuator is supposed to open up to lock up the fan clutch. I have read the TMS and they appear to have no idea. One TM says under when engine doesn't reach right temperature: "does fan actuator work correctly YES/NO? if NO replace. Gee thanks for the info. The other time regarding engine overheating its mentioned and the TM says: replace the actuator with a known good one and see what happens. Another dead end. Anyways I have run the engine at full throttle for about 20 minutes and the engine temperature at the gauge reached about 190 and it didn't come on. I did notice whomever installed it in the first place had the inlet for the outlet reversed, and I fixed that. It just kind of scared me so I thought I would ask.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I checked mine by 1) Removing and hooking up an air supply hose. 2) Place in pan of water with a cooking thermometer on the stove. 3) At around 190 degrees, watch it actuate and switch the air. Also plumb air directly to your fan clutch to verify it works properly.

MO MV man

I had the same concern then got up close and personal with it, found the part number etched into it, took that number to the web and found it was 200 degree.
My truck has yet to reach 200 to make that big fan kick on! :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks