• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine hot or not?

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to extract a glow plug on my M1008.
A while ago I did something stupid. I was changing out my glow plugs and became disoriented and instead of
unscrewing the glow plug I ended up overtightening it
to the point where the top portion snaped off.

I will be extracting it and I wanted to know if I should do this on a cold engine or a hot one.

Thanks for any tips.

Drock

Yeah cold. If it's in an awkward place, you can remove the rubber flap on the bottom of the inner fender. So you can get at it from under the wheel well.

cucvrus

I need to extract a glow plug on my M1008.
A while ago I did something stupid. I was changing out my glow plugs and became disoriented and instead of
unscrewing the glow plug I ended up overtightening it
to the point where the top portion snaped off.

I will be extracting it and I wanted to know if I should do this on a cold engine or a hot one.

Thanks for any tips.
That's going to be a tough one. I had 2 like this. I don't want to discourage you but that glow plug was a hollow thin metal piece. It was not very helpful to me on both attempts to remove the broken glow plugs. I had to remove the heads on both trucks. I had or could not obtain a tool that was able to extract the threaded part from the head. The first head I removed the entire fender skirt. The complete inner metal fender and the steering column shaft. I removed the delivery nozzle and I went in and grabbed the glow plug tip. It was not swelled but the 3/8 drive hex was broken off the glow plug. I broke the tip off and vacuum out the hole. I worked on it for about 6 hours. I was ready to do more damage then good. I attempted to weld and easy out onto a socket and used every extractor in the arsenal. The fact that it broke off from over tightening made it worse. I bought mine this way and it ran but started hard with the glow plug broken off. The second one was running and blowing compression out the hole that the shell of the glow plug occupied. The second one need head gaskets anyway and the first one I just pulled both heads and had them looked over. So on a plus side if you need to you can look at it as maintenance preventive type. At this point the head gaskets need changed anyway if they are original. Good Luck. I wish I had a magic wand. You are in a quandary. I don't think hot or cold will matter IMHO. Access and expansion of the thin glow plug shell are your adversary at this point.

Drock

Agreed if all else fails, and these are original head gaskets. Then pulling the heads is something you'd end up doing anyways.