• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine in a Can

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was the high bidder on a 6.2 in a storage can. I was unable to preview the engine so I only had the pictures to go by. In my eye it looks like a complete motor that was rebuilt and put in the box.

I would appreciate input on the chances of this engine actually being rebuilt vs. being "rattle can" rebuilt. My other question would be how much will the engine and can be combined? Because I have no idea how I'm going to get it out of my pick up's bed.

Thanks.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was the high bidder on a 6.2 in a storage can. I was unable to preview the engine so I only had the pictures to go by. In my eye it looks like a complete motor that was rebuilt and put in the box.

I would appreciate input on the chances of this engine actually being rebuilt vs. being "rattle can" rebuilt. My other question would be how much will the engine and can be combined? Because I have no idea how I'm going to get it out of my pick up's bed.

Thanks.
Well, judging by the intake gaskets and such I'd say it was probably rebuilt. It's a CUCV version vs HMMWV which would be good for me. With that said I'd say that it wasn't just put in the can. It sure looks like it's had a lower radiator hose on it so maybe it was briefly installed. The tag on the engine represents something too but I don't recall the color code and what that means.

FWIW many years ago I bought a 6.5 Turbo engine in the can. Looked new but there was antifreeze in the bottom of the can. I soon found out why it was sold. A broken glow plug destroyed a piston. The engine lives today in Devilman96s M1009.

Oh, combined I'm guessing you are wanting the combined weight? If so its right at 1200#.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The green service tag means something IS wrong with it but is repairable.

Last edited:

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It sure looks nice in the can. I hope you done well. Likely when you were bidding on it someone else wanted it too! $$$

This motor was bought by a friend. Clean, dry can for it and all the plugs in all the holes.
Pulled the pan and found pieces of #7 piston. It had a window in #7's cylinder wall to the water passage also.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You were worried about getting it out of the truck? Gimpyrobb can attest to the fact that you could probably tie it to a tree and drive out from under it with no ill effect to the engine.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You were worried about getting it out of the truck? Gimpyrobb can attest to the fact that you could probably tie it to a tree and drive out from under it with no ill effect to the engine.
I seem to remember him dragging it around quite a bit also after he dumped it out.

Gottlos

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just got the EUC notification. Not bad, only a month and six days from the time it was sent to Battle Creek. I'll be calling them tomorrow to set up a pick up time for next Friday.

Gottlos

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm heading out to for French Camp tomorrow June 25th for pick up on Tuesday. Does anyone need anything looked at? I plan to take my camera (hopefully they'll let me use it).

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
condition code F- Unserviceable-Reparable
Economically reparable material which requires repair,
overhaul, or reconditioning.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
See if it will turn by hand. And then do a compression test.

From the tag you really can't tell whats wrong with it.

If the above test are good, I would try to start it and see what you have.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks