• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine knocking

Stssts

So I have very little experience with diesels especially deuces. I have an ‘87 duece. I think it overheated but with chasing down electrical gremlins the gauge isn’t accurate. I started it up to check the gauge against a temp probe and it started making noise. It’s not constant. The motor runs smooth but will start rattling like something is loose but then quite a down. Then it will get loud again. I don’t really want to tear anything apart that isn’t needed so any advise is helpful or if anyone is around the Shreveport, La area that is more familiar with these things. I searched in the forum but didn’t see anything that seemed the same. But I’m also not the best at searching either.

Stssts

I was listening to it again and it may be the air compressor that is the cause. May be the rod coming loose in it. Anything that anyone knows I should be checking out to confirm this? Always trying to find any short cuts to confirm or deny a problem before I take everything apart.

Stssts

How does the belt come off? All I can see so far is to take the pulley off. I’m used to and idler or tension slots. I’m not seeing that.

Big Tom

You have to loosen the two 3/8" bolts on the front then hold the back half of the pulley with wrench on the hex, Then turn the front half counter clockwise the pulley halfs unwind from each other to loosen belt. There is a special wrench to turn front half but pipe wrench will work, just don't crush radiator neck.

Big Tom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks