• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine oil disaster, need some advise

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It depends on what else you are gonna do on the truck/engine. Inch pound fron 0 to 200, foot pound from 5 to 100, 20 to 150.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The gaskets for the filter cannisters seem to big at first but they fit in a groove once fitted into it they fit fine.
I first did not find that groove, thought you ment in the foot of the base, like vertically. Then I got the new rings and started swearing because they were too big...than the light bulb went of and I recognized the groove and now it fits perfect (I hope).

Filled her up but waiting with firing her up for the second person to come and help. This and the steering are two-people job (like on looking at the engine and immidately yell stop when things go wrong).

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I filled up the oil, no leaks, and today started here up. Unfortunately, I was alone, My friend was unavailable. Engine started and ran. Lighter smoke out of the holes in the lower section of the exhaust, darker out of the top of the stack. Starter button and starter engine also worked.

It stopped when taking gas away after a few minutes (it always does that) and I checked:

OIL ALL OVER THE PLACE, lost about 1/2 to one gallon of oil within 5 minutes.

Now, the new gaskets are installed, housing cleaned and installed properly. In my opinion, no way that much oil is coming out so soon through a small leak, but maybe I am wrong.

The bracket which receives the oil filter and filter housing is a bit tilted toward the driver side. However, a lot of oil seems to be flowing from the engine-side of the bracket between the two filter housings toward te lower driver side. Attached a simple drawing to show what I mean. It still flowed when the engine had stopped already. There is a water hose above that area, so can not see what is there, but this means one of two things:

- that either on the engine side of the filter the oil filter house or houses are again leaking.
- or, as I am inclined to think now more and more, somewhere on the engine or other stuff there in that area something is leaking. Questing is, it there anything that can leak?

The oil line to the injection pump should be below the bracket, so that seems not to be a possibility.

Anybody any idea?

Attachments

JDToumanian

Wow, I thought we had this problem solved! I think you need to clean the engine and have someone to watch the engine to see where the oil is coming from.... Filter canisters, oil sampling port, pipe plugs, cracked castings, injector pump, hoses... There are too many potential sources in that area.

Jon

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK. We maybe have it fixed. Went to these commerce guys. They had a brand-new LDS 465 1A sitting on the shelf (4 meters above the ground). They took it down and we discussed possibilities. End result: it can only be the filter housing and gasket.

So we cleaned it again, fastened it again, the gave it an extra turn. Still a bit of leaking, another turn, seems ok. When the engine was warmer and running smooth, no leaking but we gave both screws another turn more (sorry, no torque wrench available and no money to buy one right now).

So we will keep checking and keep hopong that will be it.

One thing came out of it. The oil being blown out and drained was really yukky; the deposit in the catching container a bit tar-like. Not much, but too much for my likening. I will continue run tghe engine a bit linger, and then change both the oil and the filters again, as suggested by BiG_Red, (thanks).