• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine Oil & Filter Change - How Long for Pro?

PapaPumpSD

Guys,

I'd like my M939A2 engine oil and filter changed. After a light trail ride I inspected under the chasis and I noticed the oil filter was leaking from the top. Probably time for an oil change. I also don't know how old the oil is but I had a mechanic look at it almost 12 months ago and he said it was good. According to the ARMY LO 9-2320-272-12, page 28, the engine oil should be changed every 6,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes 1st.

It looks like Napa has the oil filter FIL 1649 at ~$37.

Note: Truck has 9,500 miles.

Question: How long would it take a professional diesel truck shop to change the oil?
I can get Napa 15W40 5 gallons for $57. I can have the shop add that so I don't pay mark-up on the oil.

Thank you,

Brent

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
30 minutes

PapaPumpSD

Awesome, thank you. The shop I'll bring it to charges ~$100/hr so I should factor ~$50 in labor to the total cost?

Labor: $50
Engine Oil (20qt, Napa): $57
Engine Oil Filter (Napa): $37
TOTAL FOR ENGINE OIL CHANGE + FILTER:$144.

If I'm missing anything, please let me know.

Thank you,

Brent

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I run my oil 175hrs. And that is all towing and no overnight idling. Approx 7500miles on 15-40 an oil analysis gave me 20 percent of life left in the oil. Rotella is cheapest at walmart in the 2.5gal sizes. But a big round tote at walmart and do it yourself. They are like 6$

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

PapaPumpSD

Thank you Simp. I just don't have the time, nor the interest, to do most maintenance on the truck. I would much rather outsource it to a pro that can knock it out in 30 minutes and save me a headache and time. Without a doubt, it's worth it to me. It looks as though a new oil filter is needed though as the existing one is leaking. I wish I had a buddy that could swing by and put a new one on for me! Oh well.

I run my oil 175hrs. And that is all towing and no overnight idling. Approx 7500miles on 15-40 an oil analysis gave me 20 percent of life left in the oil. Rotella is cheapest at walmart in the 2.5gal sizes. But a big round tote at walmart and do it yourself. They are like 6$

lindsey97

If you install one of Scar59's spin on conversion filter kits, you might get it done in less than 20 minutes. I use leftover cattle mineral tubs for catching old oil or antifreeze. You also need to allow time/money to grease the truck, check the air filter, transmission oil level, and air up tires. Much more to it than just changing the oil.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If you install one of Scar59's spin on conversion filter kits, you might get it done in less than 20 minutes. I use leftover cattle mineral tubs for catching old oil or antifreeze. You also need to allow time/money to grease the truck, check the air filter, transmission oil level, and air up tires. Much more to it than just changing the oil.
He has an A2. It is already a spin on

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Simp, is the age of the oil really that important (assuming it's not years old) or is it mainly the usage (miles & hours)?
150hrs or 12 months whichever comes first. Your truck should idle 3 tenths to 5 tenths of an hour every first start up.

PapaPumpSD

Thank you. When you say the truck should idle X minutes every first start up, are you saying after we change the oil or anytime the truck is started from a "cold start"?

150hrs or 12 months whichever comes first. Your truck should idle 3 tenths to 5 tenths of an hour every first start up.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thank you. When you say the truck should idle X minutes every first start up, are you saying after we change the oil or anytime the truck is started from a "cold start"?
Any cold start.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thank you. Good to know. We usually let it warm-up for 10 minutes but it looks like you're recommending 18-30 minutes.

Brent
If its below 50 degrees it can take a truck that long to reach operating temperature. Especially your transmission. Which is motor oil as well. If it is 15-40. it can take it a bit to get thinned out and flowing.

PapaPumpSD

Very helpful. I appreciate that. What do you think about cool down time (sit at idle after use), especially the turbo motors?

If its below 50 degrees it can take a truck that long to reach operating temperature. Especially your transmission. Which is motor oil as well. If it is 15-40. it can take it a bit to get thinned out and flowing.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Very helpful. I appreciate that. What do you think about cool down time (sit at idle after use), especially the turbo motors?
3 to 5mins. None if you idle around the parking lot to get to a parking space. If you worry about it then install a turbo timer.

PapaPumpSD

Excellent. This is what I currently do. I typically idle around the lot and park it and then let it sit for a few more minutes.

Thank you!

Brent

3 to 5mins. None if you idle around the parking lot to get to a parking space. If you worry about it then install a turbo timer.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Instead of guessing or asking (anyone that will answer on the internet), why not read the Basic operators manual?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks