• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine oil- Military or civilian?

Ajax MD

I am very unhappy with the new search feature. Rather than open up yet another "What kind of oil do you use?" thread, I attempted to do a search on it.
The search engine returned a result that said "the words engine and oil were omitted because they are too common" Are you kidding me??

So let's just get right to it- The TM says to use straight, HD 30 oil. Not multi-viscosity. I know that the military often selected their lubricants based on logistical reasons, not what was best for the vehicle or what was recommended by manufacturers.

On an 18 year old 6.5l GEP with maybe 26k miles, what's your recommendation for engine oil?

Thanks.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
15W40 Shell Rotella (Rimula)
+1

And keep an eye on TSC sales, they sometimes have Valvoline 15W-40 at blowout prices. It's my #2 after Rotella. I have found good prices on Rotella at Advance Auto sales and WalMart.com, periodically.

I also add a few lubricating additives, but don't want to derail your thread mentioning them and starting a flame war...

Bulldogger

donquijote

I run Schaeffer's in all our rigs, after having oil tests done over a year with different brands.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ajax MD

+1

And keep an eye on TSC sales, they sometimes have Valvoline 15W-40 at blowout prices. It's my #2 after Rotella. I have found good prices on Rotella at Advance Auto sales and WalMart.com, periodically.

I also add a few lubricating additives, but don't want to derail your thread mentioning them and starting a flame war...

Bulldogger
For sure, engine oil and additives are often a religious topic. Thanks for the tips.

diesel dave

Although I have a HUGE dislike for shell as a company ( I’ve worked for them in the past),I continue to use their 15/40 rotella in all my engines. Gas and diesel.With that said,I believe any 15/40 diesel oil would be acceptable as most oil comes from the same handful of refineries. Just different labeling and sometimes different additives which may or may not be relevant as the main purpose of the additives is to convince the consumer that their oil is the best.

Ajax MD

@diesel dave I've always used Rotella in my diesel boat engine and now my 5-ton. I guess my main concern was- Is there any reason not to use a multi-viscosity oil? The TM calls for straight HD 30.

When I start the M998 on a cool morning, it's a bit loud until oil pressure builds up. I was thinking that a multi-weight oil might circulate faster and reduce start-up wear. It sounds like no one has a problem with 15W-40, so I'll go with that.

DREDnot

While both straight 30 and 15w40 are both perfectly fine, It seem like the military switched from the 30 to the 15w40.
I personally prefer Shell Rotella but will buy whichever oil is on sale at the time. For our recreational uses, they are functionally all good oils and not worth paying extra for. Save the money for a quality filter.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The current military oil in quarts is 15w40 looks just like what you buy at the parts store with a different label made by major manufacture... same bottle and box.

Only diesels I am aware that want a straight weight is old detroits with 40w.

Ajax MD

The current military oil in quarts is 15w40 looks just like what you buy at the parts store with a different label made by major manufacture... same bottle and box.

Only diesels I am aware that want a straight weight is old detroits with 40w.
Thanks, Juan. I downloaded the TM's straight from this website and the LO stated HD30. I didn't know that the military had shifted to multi weight oils.

FKAM

When I start the M998 on a cool morning, it's a bit loud until oil pressure builds up. I was thinking that a multi-weight oil might circulate faster and reduce start-up wear. It sounds like no one has a problem with 15W-40, so I'll go with that.
[/QUOTE]

Besides also using Rotella 15W-40. I use both a block heater and a magnetic heater on the bottom of the oil pan during cold days. The magnetic heater heats the oil up and cuts down on the startup racket. May not be necessary, but all that noise on startup on cold days always makes me nervous.

snowtrac nome

the lo calls for hdo 30 because that was the military standard when they first got the hmmwv's the army switched to hdo 15 w40, the only engines that require dello 100 now days are the big 2 stroke diesels, and a lot of old timers like the idea of the the high zinc additive package of the dello 100 for the smaller 2 cycle engines to. I have seen detroits run many thousands of miles on standard hdo 15w40, I would not run any thing thinner in one ,as a Detroit wont make enough oil pressure below 600 rpm to actuate a jake brake, and light oil might make your oil pressure gauge bounce around like a tach when hot.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also use Rotella 15w-40 in all my trucks. Sam's Club has it as a good price from time to time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks