• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine paint colors

RParker

Hi guys, I finally decided to fix an oil leak on my M-135. It's the valve cover gaskets, and since I'm removing everything from the passenger side of the engine, I thought I would paint what I could. I know the distributor should be black, but what about everything else?

Depends if you're doing an accurate/true period restoration, or if you're just playing around. If you're playing around there are some really cool color schemes you can do. Accurate restoration? Yeah... couldn't help ya. I'm just getting into this too.

SturmTyger380

That photo shows a two color air cleaner. OD Green on top and black on the bottom. I am pretty sure mine has never been painted and is all OD green. Was there any difference between US and Canadian trucks?

Alan

RParker

Thanks for the response. That is a great looking truck. I'm not going to get anywhere near that, but I will improve my truck a little.

USMC 00-08

Are you using a NOS valve cover gasket or did you find one at a local part store? If a local part store, could you tell me the part number so I can add it to the list?

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Original engine color

I'm sure someone is young enough to remember what color they were coming out of the factory.

I do know that after re-build they were grey...and sometimes rust..... which would be easy to do.
mvpa jp 2012 winter 09 953.jpgmvpa jp 2012 winter 09 950.jpgfarm surv13 14 g749 212.jpgfarm surv13 14 g749 190.jpg

Here's one that tried to camo itself.
farm surv13 14 g749 533.jpg

All I find is black and white and after-market. Anyone with a Polaroid back then?

2013 191.jpgfarm surv13 14 g749 261.jpg

RParker

The push rod cover gasket I bought 12+ years ago and never put it on. It is Fel-Pro# PS 3461 C.
I'm trying to locate the top locally now.

USMC 00-08

Did some checking and it looks like current part numbers from NAPA are..

Push Rod Cover- FPG PS3461C

Valve Cover Gasket- FPG VS3460A

Let me know if these work for you.

RParker

The VS3460A is on order, as well as an oil filter ( Baldwin P52 ).
I would like to replace the rubber lines from the filter. Has anyone done this and where do you get replacements?
And finally, I've been using Castrol HD30 in the engine, should I keep using it or is there better option?

USMC 00-08

Thanks for the Baldwin filter number. Not sure on the rubber line. Check out post #44 on this thread to look up parts for the 302.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?56000-NAPA-parts-list-for-M-135/page5

NAPA doesn't show a hose online, but the parts store may be able to help using this type of truck. Post up what you find. Also if you would like a copy of the parts list several of us are working on, PM me your email and I will send it to you. It is an Excel document.