• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine problems on a 1985 CUCV

pukbud

Hey guys,

My name is Kenny and I am the translator for a friend who’s got problems on his 1985 CUCV 1009. My dad used to have the same vehicle but never had these kind of problems

These are the symptoms I’ve had and what I have done so far:

First symptoms: loss of power, the engine is running but there is no power whatsoever – top speed of 30 mph.

Work done on the engine itself:
- changed the old injectors with 8 new ones,
- measured the compression ratio – 16.4 kg/cm2 max measured, 12.3 kg/cm2 min measured. Clearly, this was too low.

After this, I opened the engine up to see if there was any problems
- grinded the valves in, changed the piston rings, new head gasket, new fuel filter, etc

The engine was running but there was still no power and stalling after a few seconds, so I had a look at the fuel pump and its output was not meeting recommendations so:

- changed the fuel pump – the fuel flow is OK, good pressure with fuel arriving straight into the injection pump (tested without the filter for test purposes.)
- engine started a couple of times and refused to start again : there is nothing returning back from the injectors on each banks and nothing returning back from the injection pump.

In conclusion I have fuel at the injection pump’s inlet and I think nothing comes to the injectors

- I have electric power on the coil (solenoid) in the injection pump on the passenger’s side.
- I have electric power on the shut-off coil wiring on top of the pump

Can you confirm there must be electric power on every coil at engine start up?
Could you tell me why my engine is not properly running?

Thanks a lot in advance for your reply

Kenny

Somemedic

The Cold advance solenoid isnt working would be my guess. I think its the pink wire on top of the injector pump. Disconnect it, turn the key to the accesory position (turn the key to where the veh has battery power) and then place the pink wire back onto the terminal where it belongs. You should hear a clicking noise of the solenoid opening and aloowing fuel to meter inot the pump. If that isnt the case I think u can tap it lightly if its been sticking awhile and it might free up. It will more than likely have to be replaced. I cant remember but it seems that solenoid is 24v but u should wait til somebody chimes in and confirms that. Good Luck Belgium...

pukbud

Thanx a lot for your reply, I do appreciate ! We'll check on that and keep you informed on what's going on ;)

gwalker

The cold start not working could make it hard to start but wouldnt prevent it from starting, although if the glow plugs arent all working on a cold day an the cold adv not working it likley wouldnt start. be sure to test each glow plug individually also. If the glow plugs all work and the shut off solinoid is ok, then the inj pump is bad.

CCATLETT1984

pukbud said:
In conclusion I have fuel at the injection pump’s inlet and I think nothing comes to the injectors

- I have electric power on the coil (solenoid) in the injection pump on the passenger’s side.
- I have electric power on the shut-off coil wiring on top of the pump

Can you confirm there must be electric power on every coil at engine start up?
Could you tell me why my engine is not properly running?

Thanks a lot in advance for your reply

Kenny
sounds like the fuel cutoff switch has failed or is not getting power.

the PINK wire on the top of the injector pump is for the cutoff switch, this must have power when the ignition is turned to run/start. if you are getting voltage to that wire with the key on run, then check the engine ground. if the ground is good the cutoff solenoid in the top of the IP is bad. that part can be replaced without rebuilding the IP.

CCATLETT1984

Re: RE: Engine problems on a 1985 CUCV

Somemedic said:
The Cold advance solenoid isnt working would be my guess. I think its the pink wire on top of the injector pump. Disconnect it, turn the key to the accesory position (turn the key to where the veh has battery power) and then place the pink wire back onto the terminal where it belongs. You should hear a clicking noise of the solenoid opening and aloowing fuel to meter inot the pump. If that isnt the case I think u can tap it lightly if its been sticking awhile and it might free up. It will more than likely have to be replaced. I cant remember but it seems that solenoid is 24v but u should wait til somebody chimes in and confirms that. Good Luck Belgium...
ITS 12 Volt

the ONLY 24v part on the CUCV is the STARTER, thats it. everything else is 12v.