• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine Questions

army70deuce

Just got my Deuce the other day and it runs pretty well while driving, unfortunately it idles at around 400rpm according to the tac (and doesn't like it) vs the 650-800rpm that is specified in the manual so I'm trying to track down the issue, being a guy familiar with carbs my mind races to air leaks. I'm attaching some pictures with big arrows to point to my questions because I have found a few places where there are holes that I would think should be connected to something and lines that are not connected, and no they don't match up with each other that would be too easy. Also I have a question on what some things are, please be patient with me, I'm not familiar with multifuels...yet.

All comment and suggestions are welcome, Thank you for your help with this.

Attachments

LanceRobson

Item 2 is the bottle base for the ether start kit.

Item 3 should have a plug in it. The bottom of the breather tube should have a length of oil resistant hose to get the blow-by down below the axle tube. It'll keep things cleaner.

Item 4 is OK just the way it is.

I don't see anything that would effect idle speed.

Unless an air filter is brandy new, looking at it won't tell you much about whether the airflow through it is restricted. Is the air restriction indicator on the dash showing any red while the engine is running (at any RPM)? It it idles with no air filter, does the RPM change?

If there were an air leak that mattered I'd expect the idle to stumble and to lope somewhat. At any rate, if you want to be really sure none of the things you've pointed out are causing the low idle plug each one in sequence with the engine running.

I don't think you'll see any change. If there is no change, check the -20 manual and adjust the idle RPM. A very low idle speed is a great way to tear an engine up.

Lance

area52

#1 vent for the air pack for the brakes, fine where it is.

#2 the bracket is for the ether bottle for help in starting, don't really need it.

#3 not sure

#4 I believe is for the lines for the fording system to hook into the air cleaner when you go through deep water, all the vents tie into that? I am guessing here so don't take it as gospel.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1, vent line, it's correct as it is
2, ether start, tank screws in there
3, old location for a vent to connect to, put a plug in it
4, leave it open

If your idle is too low, simply adjust it.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
Army70deuce you did a very good job with how you presented your questions by inserting questions and arrows indicating points of interest. Posts like this are the best training aids for the rest of us out there who need visuals posts such as yours (you know the 55+ club). Thank you for a first class presentation. On a personal note, are you an IT guy?? Thank

poppop

I don't know for sure without checking my duece but most diesels have an adjustment screw on the throttle arm on the pump to adjust idle speed. look on the arm that the accelerater rod hooks to on the injection pump and check for a screw.

Boatcarpenter

Item #4---With a fording kit installed, for max fording capability, you need to run a hose from there to your compressor intake so it has a dry supply of air.
BC

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Army70deuce you did a very good job with how you presented your questions by inserting questions and arrows indicating points of interest. Posts like this are the best training aids for the rest of us out there who need visuals posts such as yours (you know the 55+ club). Thank you for a first class presentation. On a personal note, are you an IT guy?? Thank
Agreed! Those are the clearest, most concise questions I think I've ever seen on an online forum. Bravo.

Keith_J

Idle speed is set by the accessible adjustment on the accelerator input to the injector pump. The high speed adjustment should be capped off, sealed with a copper wire and lead seal.

The vent on the engine breather is normal, that is the vent for the fuel tank and the brake system. The brake system vents were moved from the engine breather due to the bad effects of fuel+engine vapors on the brake system.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To check for air leaks on the suction side of the turbo, use some little sniffs of starting fluid - the engine will speed up when you find it. This, of course, doesn't work on the pressure side.

Lee in Alaska

army70deuce

Thanks for the help figuring out what everything was. In response to the other question no I'm not IT, I'm an EOD Officer, we're used to very detailed instructions with very precise pictures. I will let everyone know how it turns out after I've adjusted the idle speed.