• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine recommendations

heavychevy

Now that I what it is (M55 gasser), the question is what can we do to it. My brother got it about eight months ago, it was a clean truck to start out with. We have done some work, like changing the top, putting new trop seats and a tune up. Its a really great truck only problem is it has NO POWER. We have decide to do a engine swap and would like to go with either a CAT or Cummins (CAT is #1 choice). From the research I have done I have been able to find some info, nothing clear. Does anyone have info on possible engine swaps or has done one themselves. Any and all info is greatly appreciated, any if this topic has been covered before sorry in advanced, I have not been able to find it on the site.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You could put a Mack in it like JasonJC said (an ENDT 673). That wouold bring it to A1 specs (more or less).

Or, you could put a multifuel in it (LDS465) and birng it up to A2 specs (more or less).

Other swaps? you will have to ask someone more knowledgeable.

DanMartin

IMHO: Stick a modern big-block or V-10 in it...keep it a gasser, but with a modern 502 GM or V-10 Ford engine with a nice 5 or 6 speed auto tranny. Tons of power, decent-ish mileage (compared to the stocker) and good reliability. Overdrive...maybe automatic tranny...nice. Plus parts would be cheap and easy to find.

Just a suggestion...I think it would be a fun project, make it easier to drive, and most importantly keep it on the road...

Do what makes you happy...but please keep us posted. :)

Alredneck

Banned
What about a international? I know it not authentic but may be a lil cheaper and parts are alvailalbe. Get a used bus pretty cheap for a donor!

Crash_AF

RE: DT466

I'll have to jump on the mechanical bandwagon... put an older (non electronic) 466 or 6CT8.3 Cummins in it. While a newer V10 or injected 502 would be nice, you'd be adding massive amounts of electricals to the truck.

Later,
Joe

houdel

If you really want to get carried away, how a 6V-53 or a 6V-71? Lotsa power, higher revs for better road speed, and an AWESOME sound! Fair amount of rework to fit one in though.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

im guessing that your truck is a eraly 50s , so it is about 50 yars old, so think 50 year old brakes, even if rebuilt, that are designed to stop that truck doing about 50 mph empty (gettint to 50 mph loaded would be a chore), im not sure id want that truck doing 70 down the freeway if it was mine, it worries me when i get my 819 up to 60, if there is a bunch of little (almost everything is little to the 819) family runabouts on the road with me , i back off, just my 2cents

heavychevy

I like the 6v53, it’s just a little bit harder find complete. What we wanted to do was buy a complete semi truck that had been in a wreck and just transfer everything over, that way we wouldn’t be running around looking for parts. As far as the brakes and top speed, I think the brakes should hold up the, only looking to do about 55mph tops. The main concern with the power and speed is to be able to do 50-55mph, downhill, uphill, sideways. The way its set up now you can do 45mph, but as soon as you hit the smallest hill it goes down to 25-30 tops, and we have alot of hills in California.

Anothet 2 cents... 6V53 is cool, but serious lack of power, 6v71 would be great. DT-466 turned up and with 2800 RPM kit is an easy swap. Stay mechanical. If the brakes are working properly, they will lock the tires and that is all ANY brake system will do. Note, if you do not go with a Detroit or high speed International, wou will also have to change the tranny to the overdirve and the there is the.......hole, right 73m819.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

so true about the hole between 3 and 4. if you chang trans., make sure that new trans will clear the front drive line