• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine repair or swap to LDS?

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for confirming the bearing direction Rusty.
I found a pic from last year that shows the orientation of the cap based on visible part number. Bearing was actually in the cap 180 out. My mistake.
Today I'll get more brake cleaner and put that back on.

rustystud

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got my heads back. They said no issues with anything other than they had to mill the heads .006"!!
I asked for .001 since I saw no issue using a straight edge but they said it took .006 to get them true.
Limit per the TM is .005. Not sure an extra .001 is an issue but my concern is I was going to go to LDS intake rockers. Open duration is controlled by cam so I'm assuming they would open the valve farther.
Look beautiful but maybe a couple of freeze plugs they didn't replace.

Is this going to be an issue? Should I stick with the LDT rockers?

Edit: If I do install the LDS rockers would the valve lash be the same as an LDT?

rustystud

Got my heads back. They said no issues with anything other than they had to mill the heads .006"!!
I asked for .001 since I saw no issue using a straight edge but they said it took .006 to get them true.
Limit per the TM is .005. Not sure an extra .001 is an issue but my concern is I was going to go to LDS intake rockers. Open duration is controlled by cam so I'm assuming they would open the valve farther.
Look beautiful but maybe a couple of freeze plugs they didn't replace.

Is this going to be an issue? Should I stick with the LDT rockers?

Edit: If I do install the LDS rockers would the valve lash be the same as an LDT?
Don't worry. You adjust the rockers with the set screw anyway (mechanical lifters) so you will not have valves hitting the pistons. The only problem with shaving the heads to far is manifold alignment. Since this is a straight six cylinder and not a V-8 engine there's no problem here.

fleetmech

Before you put the injectors in and get ready for startup, bar the engine over through a number of rotations by hand (the same way you bar for setting the valves). The human arm and bar is a lot slower and less forceful than the starter so any potential clearance issues will stop you dead, and you will know why and where. You shouldn't have clearance issues, but its a great way to know for sure before you crank it for real.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks