• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine Replacements

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
used is often a crapshoot as to whether it's any good or not.
Rebuilt really depends on who is doing it. There are some decent places, and others that are selling "rebuilt" motors using crap imported parts at massively inflated pricing.
Not my personal experience, but from seeing lots of different threads and facebook posts and whatnot.

These are a relatively basic motor, so doing a full rebuild isn't that complicated.

It also depends a little what block you have installed. If it's a GEP block and nothing wrong with the block rebuild it. If it's a GM 6.2 definitely replace. If it's a GM 6.5 you might go either way.
Also if either of your NA trucks is a 3 speed now would be a good time to upgrade to a 4 speed, buying a used engine/transmission combo is usually a good upgrade.

Action

When I had to replace a locked up 6.2, I called the junkyards around me and found one out of a vending truck. With core, it was probably under $300. I had to swap all electrics and other items from one to the other. I bought a lift from harborfrieght and di the swap in a weekend in the driveway / garage.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
there were allot of P series vans with N/A and turbo 6.5L that were built after the GEPs came out, might be worth looking into but I have no personal knowledge if they in fact had GEP engines, I see a few turbo 6.5L HMMWV power trains that have been cut out with frame, I assume they were vehicles that had to be de-milled, from a reputable dealer I would not be too hesitant.
Of course if you have deep pockets you could look at 6.5liter.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks