• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine restore oil additive and the multifuel

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, just to make things interesting. On my new truck the Chevy shop recommends I use a good fuel additive to help the injection pump and injectors .
Another pretty good indication you better be running one of the better diesel additives if you want your pump and injectors to survive in EVERY diesel you run!

V8srfun

I want to be clear my previous comments on additives only relates to crank case oil. I believe there is much benefit to be had from fuel additives in the right situation but like anything else there are good and bad ones.

Garagefull

I personally don't run additives. But the stanadyne treatment worked really well on my db2.I was ready to replace the injection pump,but someone suggested on here that I try the stanadyne. It's saved me a lot of work. My daily driver is an 04 common-rail Dodge. My original injectors made it to 389,000. With no additive. They were still delivering fuel fine, but one of the solenoids cracked. I now have 100,000 miles on the replacement injectors and they are doing great with no additive. Some additives use mmt, so basically you're just running ground up magnesium through your injection system.

Garagefull

And this truck is still running its original CP3, again with no additives.last year when I looked at its rail pressure it was still spot-on.

rustystud

And this truck is still running its original CP3, again with no additives.last year when I looked at its rail pressure it was still spot-on.
It's the CP4 pump that cannot handle "ultra low sulpher" fuels. The CP3 pump works fine on them.
For all the people who like to bash those who use additives I would just like to say "Ignorance is bliss" . Having worked on diesel engines during the change over to "ultra low sulpher" fuels and seeing all the damage they caused I know for a fact additives are needed. Unless your vehicle was designed to run on "Ultra low sulpher" fuel you will damage the pump and injectors if you don't use a good additive.
Now I know for a fact non of our military vehicles was designed to run "ultra low sulpher" fuels.
So unless you like replacing injection pumps and injectors, get some good fuel additives and use them, because regular diesel fuel is never coming back.

Last edited:

Garagefull

I hope my post didn't come across as bashing, certainly not my intention.the statement that diesel fuel will never be coming back is very true. My company truck is a 2013 6.7 Ford. That engine is an absolute monster. Quiet and smooth. In stock form, is one of the most powerful trucks that I've ever sat behind the wheel of. It has had maintenance by the book. It will be on its third engine next week to get the truck to 277,000 thousand miles. With all of the plastic under the hood, the complexity of the injection system and the d e f.. the majority of these trucks are not going to run a half a million anyway. As a comparison, my Cummins will be coming up on 500,000 very soon, and runs like the day that I purchased it. There isn't a lot of plastic under the hood. No air-to-water coolers and a myriad of related parts to make emissions.

Last edited:

rustystud

Wasn't the CP4 pump "supposed" to be made to run on ULS diesel?
It was designed by Bosch for the European market. Technically it is "suppose" to be able to run "ultra low sulpher" fuels, but the reality is it cannot. The clearances where too "tight" to meet US emission standards. Without a lubricant in the fuel (like sulpher) it basically would eat it self. The CP3 pump had looser tolerances so it could survive in a "ULS" fuel situation.

rustystud

I hope my post didn't come across as bashing, certainly not my intention.the statement that diesel fuel will never be coming back is very true. My company truck is a 2013 6.7 Ford. That engine is an absolute monster. Quiet and smooth. In stock form, is one of the most powerful trucks that I've ever sat behind the wheel of. It has had maintenance by the book. It will be on its third engine next week to get the truck to 277,000 thousand miles. With all of the plastic under the hood, the complexity of the injection system and the d e f.. the majority of these trucks are not going to run a half a million anyway. As a comparison, my Cummins will be coming up on 500,000 very soon, and runs like the day that I purchased it. There isn't a lot of plastic under the hood. No air-to-water coolers and a myriad of related parts to make emissions.

I wasn't referring to you. There are plenty on this site who feel if the OEM manufacture didn't use them then they are not needed. They fail to realize times change as does fuels and oils .

Sad to say, but your probably right about the new diesel engines life expectancy. The new ISL and ISC and all the new Cummins "emissions engines" will never live as long as the good old M11 or older engines. The GM DuraMax had such great potential too !!! So did the new Ford IHC based 7.2 engine. At least I think it is the 7.2 . Anyway it is Fords own engine based on the IHC engine. All these new engines with all that crap on them don't have a chance. Ever seen a diesel engine with a blown EGR valve ? They cause such a mess !

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
It's the CP4 pump that cannot handle "ultra low sulpher" fuels. The CP3 pump works fine on them.
Unless your vehicle was designed to run on "Ultra low sulpher" fuel you will damage the pump and injectors if you don't use a good additive.
Now I know for a fact none of our military vehicles was designed to run "ultra low sulpher" fuels.
So unless you like replacing injection pumps and injectors, get some good fuel additives and use them, because regular diesel fuel is never coming back.
And don't put that new fangled gasoline in the tank either!

winfred

geez i hate the sales staff for starting rumors like that, the "cooled" seats are just fans that suck the air from/though the cushions via a special open mat under the upholstery and blow it into the back seat (good fart transport system to the kids) the cooling effect is the sweat evaporation. what year ya got? 16 and older or 17 and up with the new motor? ase and gm master tech and specialize in driveablity, diesels and those ungodly communication/electrical issues nobody else can fix at our buick/gmc dealer

the most common failure in the drivers seat is the little buzzer motor on the outboard side, the flexing of the cushion breaks the wires off the motor, once outside of the free replacement during bumper to bumper warranty its easy enough to take apart and reconnect the wires

the 11-16 bosch injection pump failures are covered under powertrain/diesel coverage as long as the truck hasn't been programmed or fuel contamination proven, warranty time is 21 hours and cash is 30, so i wanna find a reason to void the warranty ;) lowest mileage ive done was 4700 miles, still on the factory oil fill, the injection pump is 2 pumping valves driven by a 3 lobed cam running off the camshaft timing gear, solid bucket lifters with a single double tapered no axle roller rides on the pump cam, the problem is the buckets aren't prevented by anything other then the football shaped roller wanting to stay straight, it starts with one of the rollers skipping and putting a scar on the lobe which gets worse and the resultant metal erodes fuel pressure regulator #2 (front of left fuel rail, fpr 1 is in top of pump) to the point it bypasses everything back to the tank, it needs minimum 1200 psi to start and idle like crap, 5000ish to idle normally, peaks at 26k on 11-13 and 29k on 14-16.
ive heard the 17- L5P with the nippondenso pump and solenoid style injectors (older runs piezo) has a similar mode of self destruction but haven't seen one do it yet

I must admit I do like the heated and air-conditioned seats ! It actually has R134 coolant lines running to the seats ! Really hope they never go bad !

rustystud

geez i hate the sales staff for starting rumors like that, the "cooled" seats are just fans that suck the air from/though the cushions via a special open mat under the upholstery and blow it into the back seat (good fart transport system to the kids) the cooling effect is the sweat evaporation. what year ya got? 16 and older or 17 and up with the new motor? ase and gm master tech and specialize in driveablity, diesels and those ungodly communication/electrical issues nobody else can fix at our buick/gmc dealer

the most common failure in the drivers seat is the little buzzer motor on the outboard side, the flexing of the cushion breaks the wires off the motor, once outside of the free replacement during bumper to bumper warranty its easy enough to take apart and reconnect the wires

the 11-16 bosch injection pump failures are covered under powertrain/diesel coverage as long as the truck hasn't been programmed or fuel contamination proven, warranty time is 21 hours and cash is 30, so i wanna find a reason to void the warranty ;) lowest mileage ive done was 4700 miles, still on the factory oil fill, the injection pump is 2 pumping valves driven by a 3 lobed cam running off the camshaft timing gear, solid bucket lifters with a single double tapered no axle roller rides on the pump cam, the problem is the buckets aren't prevented by anything other then the football shaped roller wanting to stay straight, it starts with one of the rollers skipping and putting a scar on the lobe which gets worse and the resultant metal erodes fuel pressure regulator #2 (front of left fuel rail, fpr 1 is in top of pump) to the point it bypasses everything back to the tank, it needs minimum 1200 psi to start and idle like crap, 5000ish to idle normally, peaks at 26k on 11-13 and 29k on 14-16.
ive heard the 17- L5P with the nippondenso pump and solenoid style injectors (older runs piezo) has a similar mode of self destruction but haven't seen one do it yet
So your telling me the sales staff lied to me about my seats cooling system ?!!??!?!?!
Can't trust anyone anymore !!!! Actually that is a relief since I know what it takes to repair HVAC systems and I didn't want to attempt to repair that thing if it went bad.
So my truck is a 2019 model with the "Denso" pump. After reading all those articles though I think I might just buy a CP-3 pump and keep it for emergencies.
So "Winfred" your a "ASE Master Mechanic" too ? That's good to know. Especially since your still working at GM and can help give me tips on keeping my truck running good and strong !
I've tried to keep up with some of the changes in the truck industry since I retired, but changes are happening so fast anymore it can be a pain to read all the new information. Especially in brakes and suspension systems. Not to mention all the engine changes. Plus I'm retired and have my own projects to work on now !
Thankfully our military vehicles are old technology, even the "new" stuff ! I mean even the new MRAP replacements are just starting to use "drive by wire" technology. The industry had that over 20 years ago ! Can you imagine a modern bus over 60 feet long with a turntable using a throttle cable ?
So at least my knowledge base will still be relevant here.
Before anyone asks, yes I know all about "EMP" effects and why the military has stayed away from most modern electronics. When I was in the Marines I was a trained "Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical Warfare" NCO. So I know all about the effects of a Electrical Magnetic Pulse. Also know enough about nerve and blood agents to recognize the systems and when to put the pistol to my head and pull the trigger since I no longer have access to the anti-dote . No one should die by a blood agent !

winfred

the only thing the L5P duramax shares with the LMM and older is the bore and stroke, i haven't seen any mechanical issues but heard of a few, the biggest thing is check engine lights, usually from a soft stop and go drive cycle with a ton of idle time building soot in the DPF, if its happy it'll regen about every 500 miles.
after about 10 reflashes they have a good bit of the bugs ironed out, we are just about down to the work trucks that get idled all day that soot themselves to death as it cant regen at idle.
random engine noise complaints are common as its super noisy compared to the LMM despite the claims of being XX% more quiet then the previous model are common, and usually the fault of one of the many self tests of the injectors, one of which sets a false fault code that the engineers were working to eliminate with yet another programming event, they were blaming it on "knobby" tires but most of the ones ive seen were on original rubber.
low on coolant is common for new trucks due to underfilling at factory, fun fact the reservoir has 2 caps, the useful one on top is backward thread for god knows why, right to the top in the main part and half full in the back half is correct, loosen the normal thread cap on the side to let the air out and keep trickling it into the top till the back is about half full

threadjack over

rustystud

the only thing the L5P duramax shares with the LMM and older is the bore and stroke, i haven't seen any mechanical issues but heard of a few, the biggest thing is check engine lights, usually from a soft stop and go drive cycle with a ton of idle time building soot in the DPF, if its happy it'll regen about every 500 miles.
after about 10 reflashes they have a good bit of the bugs ironed out, we are just about down to the work trucks that get idled all day that soot themselves to death as it cant regen at idle.
random engine noise complaints are common as its super noisy compared to the LMM despite the claims of being XX% more quiet then the previous model are common, and usually the fault of one of the many self tests of the injectors, one of which sets a false fault code that the engineers were working to eliminate with yet another programming event, they were blaming it on "knobby" tires but most of the ones ive seen were on original rubber.
low on coolant is common for new trucks due to underfilling at factory, fun fact the reservoir has 2 caps, the useful one on top is backward thread for god knows why, right to the top in the main part and half full in the back half is correct, loosen the normal thread cap on the side to let the air out and keep trickling it into the top till the back is about half full

threadjack over
That's good to know, thanks ! So I don't need to stock pile some CP-3 pumps right ? It sounds like most problems are all programing issues. That and filling the cooling system. We had that issue with the new Hybrids on the 40 footer buses. They had the main radiator and the reservoir tank was mounted below the fill on the main tank ! What idiot that thought that was a good idea I have no clue ! If you filled it in the wrong sequence it would allow air in the Cummins EGR system and burn up the valve !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks