• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine RPM Governor

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to get my M35A3 emission tested today to get registered in AZ. When I took my GMC and Hummer H1 in, they made me stomp the pedal to the floor several times. Both of the diesel motors have an RPM governor, so it did no harm. Does anyone know if the CAT motor in the A3 has the same, or might I do damage to the motor.

It just goes against all I was taught to mash the pedal and hear the engine scream like that.

Thanks for the help.

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. I will head in this afternoon and see how she does. Anyone else have to pass emissions in AZ? Any problems?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
FWIW, diesels don't have throttles. They have governors. Engine speed is controlled by fuel delivery in the absence of a butterfly valve in the intake path. So simply put, more rpm's = more volume of fuel injected. The governor is dialed in by flyweights and spring pressure to adjust "redline". (Course that only applies to mechanical diesels)

JDToumanian

If I knew in advance that they were going to do that to my truck, I would adjust the pedal linkage to not allow high rpm.

Why is this required? Are you registering it commercial?

Jon

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I knew in advance that they were going to do that to my truck, I would adjust the pedal linkage to not allow high rpm.

Why is this required? Are you registering it commercial?

Jon
:ditto:

Going fast from an idle to wide open under no load is hard on an engine.

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Non-commercial use, but in AZ it is required to have emissions to get registered (in Maricopa, Co.

If I had a choice, I would not do it on any of my vehicles, but to get registered, have to do what the "MAN" says...

JDToumanian

Are you registering it to the year it was rebuilt as an A3 (1990s?) or the year it was originally built (1960s or 1970s)..... I can't believe they would expect a 40-year old diesel truck to pass some kind of visible smoke emissions test. That's worse than California! It should be exempt.

Jon

JDToumanian

I expect that crap in California, I thought AZ was better.... Especially Maricopa County. Isn't that Sheriff Joe Arpaio's territory?

armytruck63

I have heard about this horrible part of the Arizona test (and I thought California was crazy).

I agree with the comment about limiting the throttle linkage travel. Do A3's have the same bolt under the gas pedal that can be adjusted. If so, I would set it so the engine wouldn't go over 2000 or 2100 rpm.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RPM's are actually your friend in diesels when it comes to exhaust typically....

The fueling curve is what causes the smoke.

Economist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The SF-97 says 1995, so I am kinda stuck with that year. I took it to emissions testing. Had to do the goofy rev deal. She passed with flying colors. Off to get titled and registered next week.

Thanks for the quick responses. This board is excellent resource.

Cheers!

lonegunman

I took my A3 in for emissions testing here as well. The major areas of Washington state require it as a way of cheating you out of an extra 20 bucks a year.

The engine will rev only to it's preset limit, it is a mech diesel. I had Caterpillar check mine after I purchased it, the tac was correct and it limits at 2927, within two of the factory setting.

My truck is technically built in the 1999 model year, late 98 dates on everything including the engine. But It is considered a 1993 model truck by the military and I registered it as a 1993 so that it is covered under the earlier emissions standards.

It passed with flying colors by the way, well under the norms and very clean running. You will have no problems if you truck is running nice.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks