• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine stalls after cold startup after throttle blip

nudewheeler

Howdy Folks!

This may take some wind to fully describe how my M1009 is behaving after this weekend's work. I will try to be concise as possible. Here is the situation:

Problem: While engine is cold, up to 60 seconds after startup, and a modest blip of the throttle (50% or greater) the stock 6.2 stalls.

Weather: Tucson, between 75-95 degrees when I've experienced this.

Background: Before this weekend's work, my M1009 would start up properly and never hesitated after a modest throttle blip just after startup.
  • Both alternators are good (just had one rewound not too long ago).
  • Replaced both relays under the dash (one for the gen2 light, the other for the voltmeter).
  • I've replaced the starter solenoid with the suggested 200amp intermittent relay from Napa.
  • Glow plug controller card and glow plug relay in the engine bay claimed to have been replaced by previous owner.
  • New DuraLast gold batteries, fluid levels are good in both.
  • Spin on fuel filter, no pinched fuel lines.

BEOFRE: Gen 2 in a spin activated alternator (to initiate it charging, it must reach a certain RMP, which requires the engine to rev above idle for just a second).
  • I would turn the key to run, wait until the 'wait' light disappeared (voltmeter sitting mid way in the yellow), and start the truck.
  • Gen 1 light would go out upon startup, and the voltmeter would rest ~ 1/2 to 3/4 through the yellow.
  • With a small blip of the throttle (40-60%), the gen 2 light would go out, and the voltmeter would hop just into the green.
  • Charging system would charge the batteries from the start and send the voltmeter into the green for a short while, then return to steady state just above the yellow/green line.

During any time after start up I could mash the throttle to any degree and the engine would seamlessly return to idle. Thing was bulletproof, and it was awesome. I would hear the glow plug relay click off after a certain amount of time, but I never really paid attention to it.

This weekend I had a thrash session on the blazer. Finishing up an AC install, put in a tiny tach, removed the stock radio, added some power accessories etc etc. I performed some modifications to the truck.

Voltmeter leads were extended and the gauge was mounted by T-case lever.
Tany tach, I tapped into an ignition source of power for the display. In the engine compartment, I mounted the engine ground lead for the transducer (thingy that bolts around an injector line) to the same valve cover stud that one of the alternators uses for it's engine ground (driver's side alt). No biggy, very minimal source required.

Removing the radio I may have made a mistake. Batteries were connected. The radio was not connected to anything, so I just had to remove it from the dash. Upon doing so, I arced a good one while across the starter solenoid. Sparks flew for a brief zap as I yanked it out. Oops.

Now, after extending the voltmeter leads, tapping into an ignition power source, putting another grounding ring on the driver's side alternator engine stud, and adding three accessory power outlets (positive rings around the 12v bus, and grounded at the parking brake common ground bracket) my starting procedure has changed.

AFTER:
  1. Turn ignition key to run, voltmeter reads mid way through the red.
  2. After I hear some sort of click (I assume this is the controller card clicking off the glow plug relay) the voltmeter rises to mid way through the yellow.
  3. Start the truck, and the voltmeter drops back down into the red (I assume the controller card kicks the glow plugs on again). Both gen lights are on at this point (DIFFERENCE, gen 1 light used to go off during startup)
  4. Give the truck a bit of fuel, gen 1 light goes off, and voltmeter rises into middle of the yellow.
  5. Give truck more fuel, gen 2 light goes off, and voltmeter rises into the green.

***Now, during any part of this process for the first 60 seconds of run time (regardless of where the voltmeter reads or which alternators are charging) if I blip the throttle any more than 40%, as the engine is returning to idle it generally just dies. If I blip 30-50%, sometimes the engine will dip well below idle, but it will maintain running. During more aggressive blips, the engine just dies.

Let the turd warm up for 90-120 seconds, or give it 20% throttle for a minute or so, it warms up enough that during throttle blips it returns to idle just fine. During subsequent warm startups, the engine does not have these problems.

It almost sounds like the glow plugs need to stay lit for a bit longer after startup. Maybe I have glow plugs going bag, or some other component in the glow plug system going bad. Any ideas folks? At a loss....

Why does the 6.2 die just after a cold startup after a throttle blip?

Thanks in advance...

Chief_919

Not a glow plug issue. Sounds more like your coled advance solenoid in the IP isn't working, either because it is shot or the wiring too it got messed up.

nudewheeler

Hm, very interesting. I can definitely buy that. Any suggestions how to troubleshoot the cold advance solenoid? I am uncertain how the voltage is applied to the cold advance solenoid. I have some pictures of the injector pump below. 2 spades are connected to the IP, one red/pink for the fuel shutoff, and the other green. Uncertain where either of the leads originate from.

I read that 12V should be applied to the green lead until the motor reaches a certain temperature. Any specs on this?

Also, there is some 'arm' that is on the passenger side of the IP that is possible disconnected. Please see pictures attached. The green lead as another spade receptor in the line that connects to nothing. It is dangling in the pictures near the cast coolant flow. The disconnect arm is relatively low on the IP. In the picture you can see the bottom of the trans vacuum valve. What is this arm? Is it in disrepair?

How to troubleshoot cold advance solenoid voltage source??

Attachments

Chief_919

Cold advance is activated by the green wire. It is controlled by the glow plug control card, that turns it on and off based upon the signal from the temp sensor.

The schematic will show you all you need to know.

nudewheeler

Mistaken - I do indeed have the manuals. Thanks for posting the link.

I did read up again on the GP Module Theory of Operation thread. I don't believe this controller card controls the cold advance in the injection pump.

Under the dash, I do see two printed circuit boards (PCBs). One by the drivers brake pedal (which I assume is the GP controller card) and another by the T-case handle, up where the starter relay and gen 2/voltmeter relays are.

I am curious where the GREEN cold advance lead on the injection pump gets it's 12V source from. I believe this is my problem... Looks like the -34P manual has the cold advance switch on pages 135-136. Is what gives the green cold advance lead 12v?

mistaken1

I am in the -20 TM. Appendix F, Page F3 Engine Compartment Circuits.

There is a fast idle solenoid that has the LT GRN-936B wire running to the cold advance control where the wire LT GRN-936A runs to the cold advance and fast idle temperature switch.

Form the temp switch there is the PNK/BLK-39B that runs to a splice point where it becomes PNK/BLK-39A and routes through the connector to the cab where it is once again labeled PNK/BLK-39B.

Then continuing on page F4, that PNK/BLK-39B wire runs to a splice point. From there the PNK/BLK-39A wire runs to a fuse in the fuse block under the dash. That fuse appears to be the 20A engine control fuse which feeds other things like the seat belt warning buzzer and the water in fuel solenoid.

In your picture it looks like that connector that as two green wires on it is not connected to anything. Then the connector with the single green wire is connected to the cold advance control. On my truck the double wire connector is on the cold advance control and the single wire connector is on the fast idle solenoid.

Either way those two devices get power from the fuse block through the cold advance and fast idle temperature switch.

Last edited:

nudewheeler

Mistaken -

Thank you so much for your help. I'll get to the bottom of this sooner or later.

A few quick results:

The fuse that controls the temp sensors has a 30A fuse in the fuse receptor. It is good.

Went to the truck (that has not been ran today), turned the ignition on run, and found 12 volts to the fuel shutoff solenoid, but no voltage to the cold advance/high idle terminals.

Traced the wires back to the rear of the passenger side and found where they (both the pink controlling the fuel shutoff solenoid and the green controlling the cold advance) plugged into the cold advance switch (found on page 135-136 on the PDF, or section 54-1 in the -34P manual)

Poked around the cold advance switch, and found no additional connectors leading into the switch. Disconnected the 2spade connector (one green the other red/pink) from the cold advance/temp switch, disconnected the respective ends of those wires at the injection pump and find that 0 ohms were present through both wires from the switch to the injection pump. Wires are solid.

SO, the problem lies somewhere between the good 30A fuse in the box, and the wires connecting into the cold advance/temp switch.

Anyone had issues troubleshooting this switch, or replacing it? I am uncertain if just one of the two spades coming out of the cold advance switch can fail?

Took some additional pictures of the IP and the cold advance/tamp switch. I must also mention that the injection pump on this truck has been replaced with a Stanadyne DB2-4510. This is not the 'factory' IP (apparently the factory IP had hardened parts on the internals to cope with the JP-3 jet fuel, or whatever the military fed it), but it is along the same series of pumps. I believe this -4510 is a 'high altitude' pump. Previous owner in Alb, NM (elevation 5300feet) had the pump replaced there.

Anyways, any help further troubleshooting?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

mistaken1

According to the fuse block picture I have (from this site) the engine control fuse should be 20A.

The fuse is good, are you getting power to the fuse?

Are both of those green wire connectors at the IP plugged onto spades or is one disconnected?

It appears that you do not have a fast idle solenoid on your IP (at least not one that looks like mine). When my truck starts it runs at high idle until the engine warms up then the idle drops back down to normal.

Do you have the -34 manual in addition to the -34P?

These are the engine circuit wiring diagrams from the -34 manual (not all of the schematics that are in the -34).

That temperature switch in your picture has two wires. One should be LT GRN-936A and the other should be PNK/BLK-39B.

According to the diagram that PNK/BLK-39B should have power all of the time (I am not sure if that fuse is constant hot or hot only with the ignition switch in the run position). When the engine is cold that temperature switch closes and sends power to the cold advance control and fast idle solenoid.

The cold advance / fast idle circuit should have nothing to do with the pink wire that controls the fuel shutoff solenoid on the IP. The pink wire that controls the fuel shutoff solenoid is a separate circuit.

(1) At the very least with the ignition switch in the 'run' position you should read 12V at the PNK/BLK wire at the temperature switch. With a cold engine you should then read 12V at the LT GRN wire terminals at the IP. (it would be good idea to remove the glow plug relay control so that the glow plugs do not burn out during testing {the manual warns about this}).

If you are not getting power at the PNK/BLK wire at the temperature switch you need to trace that wire back to the fuse block to find the problem.

(2) If you are getting power at the PNK/BLK wire but not the LT GRN wire terminals then the temperature switch is bad. You can confirm this by jumpering around the temperature switch and looking for voltage at the LT GRN terminals at the IP. Do this by removing the terminal from the temperature switch and using a short piece of wire to connect the PNK/BLK wire directly to the LT GRN wire. If you do this and have voltage at the LT GRN terminals at the IP then start the truck see if that helps your cold stalling issue (don't let it run too long with the switch jumpered out).

(3) If you are getting power to the PNK/BLK at the temperature switch and you are getting power to the LT GRN terminals at the IP then there may be a problem in the IP not cold advancing. I would have that checked by a diesel shop to confirm.

Attachments

Last edited:

nudewheeler

Mistaken -

Thank you so much for the helpful replies. I will add some quick responses, then I'm off on business :(

I must check if I am indeed getting power to the fuse. Didn't actually check this. Yes, the block calls for a 20A. A 30A is in it's place.

the green wire at my IP has two spade connectors. Only one is plugged in. On the entire IP, there are only two spades to connect to. One if the fuel shutoff solenoid, and the other is what we are battling, either cold advance/high idle controls. I think it is cold advance due its current behavior. I don't really notice an increased idle RPM cold upon startup. I do notice that after a quick blip of the throttle and both alternators receive their 'spin activation' to charge, the additional load decreases RPM slightly.

I do have 6 or so manuals. Including -10, -20, -34, -20P, -34P and a few more I believe.

The temperature switch does have two wires feeding from it, the green and pink that you mentioned. I believe the pink gets power when the ignition is cycles to RUN. the green was not receiving any power at any time.

I am uncertain where the were feeds between the fuse block and the temperature switch. the temp switch fastens into the block, and I saw no peripheral wires feeding the switch.

I may try jumpering if the fuse is powered correctly.

I will have to read up on leaving the ignition to RUN for extended time. I thought the glow plugs timed out after ~15 seconds or so, regardless if the engine is running or not?

Anyways, business calls...in a land 16 hours time difference. My 26 hour journey begins shortly. I will revive this thread in a week or two!

Thanks again!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a thought, when you were messin' around under the hood, you didn't happen to knock the temp sensor wire loose did ya? We had that happen to the HMMWV at the museum.