• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine start up / warm up.

kcobean

I know in the car world, there is lots of debate about whether it's best to start a car and let it idle to warm up, or just start it and drive smoothly at low RPMs to bring the engine and drivetrain components all up to temp together.

In the diesel/truck world, do these things need to sit and idle and get to temp before being driven? I had to make a short trip today and I only gave the truck about 2 minutes of idle before I drovie it. My oil pressure was very high (like over 90 PSI) until it got warmed up and then it settled down. Was a little concerned about that and curious what others do in regards to start up.

ari

I always let it warm up for afew at least till the temp is abt 120 from a cold start if it's warm outside. even longer when it's cold outside. They always seem happier when warm

erasedhammer

A good rule of thumb to make sure its ready to drive is to wait for the glow plugs to stop cycling (you'll know when the voltmeter doesn't jump between yellow and green) after that you can drive it no problem, just don't floor it or anything like that until it warms up a bit.

ryanruck

Our past winter wasn't all that cold but I would usually let my truck idle a minimum of 10 minutes before going anywhere.

Warmer weather, no warm up period.

Awol

In the winter I always let my vehicles warm up, just so I don't freeze my ass off when I get in it lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks