• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine temp

tlarkin530

What's the average coolant temp for the Hercules LDS-465? Just got my temp gauge working today on my '67 A2, and the needle is reading about 230° while driving. My other engines (all gasoline, and obviously different) run around 180° so I was a little concerned. Thoughts? I didn't see anything in the TM, but maybe I didn't look hard enough. Thanks!

SMOKEWAGON66

230 is WAY hot. I believe the average for the multi-fuel 465 is between 160-180 deg...mine rarely gets over 160 as thats when the thermostat opens and these engines have a very efficient cooling system. For you I would advise testing the sending unit first as it may be malfunctioning. New ones are cheaper then doing more extensive cooling system stuff only to find later it was just the sending unit :wink:

Also, Id say download the -10 and -20 manuals for the deuce, the -10 being the operators manual, will give you all the operating temps, pressures, and info needed to operate properly. the -20 will help you fix stuff.

yeah i made an 80 mile highway trip home with mine, never got above 170 and i do have an LDS. I would flush coolant, and check your thermostat. My coolant was green but i decided to drain it and flush it. I ran it for 1.5 hours with hose constantly running and i was still get getting rust out.

tlarkin530

I just installed a gauge, not a sending unit. I think I'll flush the coolant system and try again. If it's still running hot, I'll get a new sending unit. Thank you VERY much everybody.

jatonka

The LDT thermostat opens fully at 180 degrees, unless you have a heater that was installed in a good motorpool, in which case the thermostat opens fully at 195 degrees. I run an LDS in an M35A2 which has a pyrometer and is turned up way big and it will run up to 210 degrees on a hot day if I'm carrying big loads. I've never seen one that got to 230, ever. JT

rrrr

WAAAAAY TOOO HOT ! Mine runs 170 on hot days. Check you coolant, thermostat, etc. Something is wrong.

jp-234

Been There - If your gauge and sending unit are good, my suggestions is to pull the thermostat and run your truck if it still runs above 180 look at replacing your radiator.

Good luck

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use an IR gun and measure the radiator and water jacketed areas of the block.

I doubt your running at 230, or it would be boiling out.

The -20 has troubleshooting info for gauges listed.