• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine temperature Turbo whistler

alfa59

Hi guys,

Can anybody guide me what is the correct t° the gauge should be indicating. I changed the feeler and the gauge - then I hadn't any indication at all. I have then changed the temp Gauge as well , but I received a 320° gauge from the person I buy my spare parts from. So is there a fit between the feeler and the gauge or are the feelers universel.

Would appreciate your feedback.

devilman96

Around 180-190F (82.2-87-7C) pending the ambient temp... Some have trouble keeping 150F(65.5C) in colder climates. Yes the gauge and sending unit much match each other. They work off of resistance, if mismatched you will ether get a false reading and / or no reading at all... If you doubt your gauge you can verify your operating temp with a cheapo aftermarket or use a digital infrared thermometer.

houdel

Up here in the cold north (Michigan), my temp gauge seldom gets above 160-170 degrees F., and that is with an Arctic grille cover installed (with the flap rolled) up in the summertime! I'm seriously considering removing my fan, as least in colder weather, makes a significant reduction in engine noise, plus the fan takes a lot of horsepower to run, so my mileage ought to improve as well. On a really hot day, 90+ degrees F., with the grille cover and fan, I once got up to 190 degrees F. Deuces NEED to run close to 180 F. to run effieciently!

alfa59

Thanks guys for the answers.
How can you see that the sending unit matches with the temp gauge? I have seen military temp gauges which have a max of 240F and some 320 F.
Any idea?
I presume the correct one to fit in the Deuce M35A2 is the 240° F?

devilman96

I would assume that a 320 tempature gauge is for some hydraulic / oil application because any engine over 250 degrees would be toast.

Correct gauge for the M35 is the 240F NSN 6625-01-936-2139... PN MS 24543-2
Correct sending unit is NSN 6685-00-814-5271... PN MS 24537-1

alfa59

Thanks General from Florida. Will check what parts are in the Deuce now. Could it be that the thermostat is not always functionning correctly or a bad mass?

nosliw

i pulled a good load (8000 lbs) lugging quite a bit today up steep grades and my engine temp hovered around 220 degrees. i let it start up and run at idle to "cool down" a bit, but it didn't fall until i turned it off and let it sit.

what's the max i should let the temp get before shutting her down? i was a good 3 miles from the house when i noticed the temp was high, but it was after lugging a good hill in 3rd gear with the pedal to the floor. it never got higher than 220-225ish.

SasquatchSanta

i pulled a good load (8000 lbs) lugging quite a bit today up steep grades and my engine temp hovered around 220 degrees. i let it start up and run at idle to "cool down" a bit, but it didn't fall until i turned it off and let it sit.

what's the max i should let the temp get before shutting her down? i was a good 3 miles from the house when i noticed the temp was high, but it was after lugging a good hill in 3rd gear with the pedal to the floor. it never got higher than 220-225ish.
Lugging isn't good. Shift down so you are always above 1,600 RPM. Lugging causes all sorts of problems including blown head gaskets, high temps and even more serious problems. If you keep a multi between 1,600 and 2,400 they will last a long time.

My water pump fan is removed therfore my truck will build heat even in the winter. My electric radiator fan somes on around 190 and goes off at just under 200 degrees. Diesels don't run good until they are hot --- but not too hot. I start getting nervous when the needle goes over 210.

The stock temp gauges are not very accurate. I replaced the stock unit with a mechanical.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks