• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine & transmission swap questions

IdahoPlowboy

Holy cow I stepped in it. By my calculations any engine swap is going to cost about the same, the Cummins just a little more. I don't want a Dodge and I don't like Dodge. The CUCV is a great truck even at 25 years old. It has parts civvy trucks don't have.

The 6.2 is great for what it is intended for. I want to make my truck do more than it was built for, that's all.

I am not selling so some poor guy won't have to wish he had a stock truck. The truck is to beat the high price of trucks these days and pay lower taxes which are outrageous on vehicles in my state.

There are convincing arguments on both sides.

Solved with the proper choice of transmission. It's funny the diesel forum has no problem with this kind of swap. Obstacles yes, impossible no.

6.9L IDI vs. 5.9L Cummins 12v vs. 6.2L GM Diesel
I never said it was impossible just more expensive and difficult that it was being portrayed.

Why do you feel the need to slam the good folks on this forum with the diesel forum remark? No one on this forum giving you info and feedback said anything about not being able to solve these challenges.:?

Iceman3005

I think you guys need too think outside the box here. I have never done this for myself, I have however helped a friend do a complete swap in his 79 chevy, he found a 95 cummins truck that had been rolled for $2500 after all the extra parts, running around and fabrication the total came to about $4500. I have seen quite a few wrecked cummins for sale in different ad companys. As far as power a stock cummins out of a 94-95 has 190hp (auto) 215 (manual) and 400 ft. lbs. of torque (auto) 450 (manual). For the cost of a screw driver and a #100 fuel plate($200), that will add anther 70-100 hp and 100-120 ft.lbs of torque
cheap simple power. My friend that did the swap his engine had over 300,000 miles on it when we did the swap, then he turn the fuel up with a screw driver and put the fuel plate in, he sold the truck with over 500,000 miles on it and it still ran good, try and do all that with a 6.2L with $4500.

IdahoPlowboy

300k miles on the engine and 500k when the truck was sold how many miles did the Chevy have when the swap was done? If it was 200k miles in the 79 chevy! how many years did it take to rack up those miles? The power output is not being disputed, It is just not a weekend swap like some might think. I do believe there has been 500k 6.2s but not overly common.

ODdave

not trying to argue but DODGE NEVER offered a 190hp. I have 6 5.9's ranging from 1990-2001 and none are a 190. like i said 94-95 A/160 M/175, 96-96 A/180 M/215.

There are 190hp 5.9's but you wont find a black one (factory)

Iceman3005

the chevy that we did the swap in was a gasser, don't know how many miles were on it was not the original odometer and he was not the original owner. okay I was off on my power numbers
Stock HP Ratings:
94-95 Auto: 160hp
94-95 Manual: 175hp
96-98 Auto: 180hp
96-98 Manual: 215hp

M1008driver

Why do you feel the need to slam the good folks on this forum with the diesel forum remark?
It wasn't meant to be a slam to the good folks of this forum. You just need thicker skin here because the passion is greater.

Parts-the tie rods for one thing...

rickf

The tie rods are exactly the same as any Chevy 3/4 or 1 ton with the Dana 60 front axle. As are the locking hubs and all of the internal parts. The rear 14 bolt is a stock civvie item also as is the turbo 400 trans and tranfer case. There are NO mechanical parts that are not civilian other than the electricals and the add on pintle brackets and hitch.

Little hint here, do not throw the thicker skin saying out there unless you really have thick skin yourself. These guys will have you for lunch.

Rick

rnd-motorsports

That is one of the things that gets me the most - How many on here think that these trucks are so different then the civilian model when you get right down to it the only diff is the 24 volt starter and electric add ons for it and dual alts to be able to jump start anything military take that away and a normal 1 ton single wheel 4x4 you could buy from any dealer. even the j code engine in the 1 ton and 3/4 ton two and 4 wheel starting in 1982.

rickf

I am not offended in any way. Just trying to help. I don't want to see you spend money needlessly and I don't want you to think everything on your truck is different when it is not and can be bought at the local parts store.

Rick

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I built many CUCV with cummins engine and I building another one It only takes me a week to do one and I do all the engine trans t case axles ect.
Ad OD Dave said by an 89-90 first gen or 91-93 use every thing and it will work no problem.
hay dave deuce XM381A2 is almost on the road.:driver:

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dave I will but it will be posted after it is finish and painted I still working on started building the bed for her and I might be able to take it for a ride this week end it all depends on the weather I still half to extend the cab and roof yet I blow it all apart and media blast it and epox and re carc it I still half to find a better left fender to.
I have alot parts to take to my media blaster on monday.
They had a fire in there paint bay but there up and running again.
stop over any time dave.
:driver:

M1008driver

One more question...would a 4bt be a better swap than a 6bt and what transmission? I realize this is blasphemy to some of you, but I am learning. YES, I used the search and read other forums.

I want your comments. I would never tow over 7000 lbs and would like to have the capability to tow 5 ton just in case I ever wanted too. :confused:

Miah

The effort of installing would be identical & I'm figuring the cost would be similar since used/junk/wrecked dodges will make the 6BT more available.

You'd gain running a 3.9 4cyl vs a 5.9 6BT or put it this way....roughly 2/3 the size of engine you have in the truck right now. If you're dissatisfied with what you got now, will it be worth spending any money at all to get something a bit over half it's size?

Last edited:

ODdave

just drop the 6bt in it with a 5000 rmp kit. tons of lowend power and great speed even with a th-400
5K kit......:cookoo:

Do you have much experiance with the B series? Your sweet spot is right around 1800 rpm. to simply swap a cummins in the truck with nothing else done to compensate the ratios would be a waste of time and $.