• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine Trouble - Blue smoke, rough idle, now won't start

rtbcoop

As a little background, I bought a M1008 from Northside Trucks & Equipment down in Orlando. It was a little on the pricy side and not the best shape but I was kind of in a bind and needed a vehicle. Though I have already had multiple problems with this truck (and I only bought it 2 days ago), the one that I cannot figure out is why the engine is running so rough. I noticed that on a cold start, the motor has a hard time cranking up and once it does, it billows blue smoke for a few minutes. It also has a very rough idle. While driving, the blue smoke continues but is less noticeable. Today, I could not get it to start at all. I believe it is a fuel problem because when I poured some diesel down the air intake, the engine started right up. I also checked my glow plugs and they started right up. I wanted to check for fuel flow so I cracked the bleeder valve on the fuel filter and diesel came shooting out (good pressure). This makes me think that I need a new injector pump but I wanted to check with the experts before I coughed up the money. Any other tests I should do first? Thanks for the help!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As for the injector pump capacity, I wonder if the discharge fuel pressure from the injector pump outlet to the injectors can be measured and compared to the performance standard in the manual? Does the TM for your engine provide a test for this pump? Thats where I would start.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please do not use the "need help" in your title unless you are broke down somewhere.

On this site, when a member reads "Help", they go into rescue mode.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you downloaded the Tech Manuals and stepped thru the troubleshooting section for "no start"?

You say you checked the GPs. How did you do that? Multimeter and checked voltage and resistance?

rtbcoop

I was broke down, but that's because my starter also died :) Had to get a tow truck to bring me home. Will do though. Checked voltage, it's good. Took out glow plugs and tested on battery, all heated up.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just because they heat up on a bench doesn't mean the truck is sending power properly to them. You need to go through the troubleshooting steps to determine your issue. Unfortunately when there are many things that can cause a problem, until you step through each one from the most likely to the least likely, its impossible for anyone to do more than guess.

rtbcoop

There are 12v going to the glow plugs when the ignition is turned and none of the glow plugs are burned out. I think I may have found a problem but not sure. I removed the top of the injector pump and there are two solenoids underneath. The larger solenoid (I believe the shutoff solenoid) functions as it should but nothing happens to the smaller solenoid (cold advance?) when I run 12v to it. Would this cause my problem?