• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine turns over with ignition switch off

Okie Cowboy

The other morning during ice storm went to start the Hulk 1009. I started it it ran for about 10 sec then died went to start again and engine kept turning over without switch off. I disconnected batts everything stopped.
I searched site but can't find what my truck is doing exactly. I have done dog head otherwise stock truck other than a light issue it hasn't failed me.
I need it up need haul wood trailer no power for last 9 days.

cucvrus

No this can't happen if you put the modified relay on. No really disconnect the relay and I will bet it does not turn over. Doing the relay mod just turns the Chevy relay into a Ford relay and Fords get stuck in the crank position also. I had Fords do the same thing with the solenoid type relay. I would say the voltage was low and the amperage went up and welded the relay on the closed position. Same way the stock one gets when cranked with low batteries. Give it a try and please check back. Connect the 2 wires together till it starts and you can get the repairs completed.

fitz

I just had an original 24V direct drive starter rebuilt at a local starter/alternator shop for $165.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We need more info. What type of starter do you have and is the correct support bracket installed? And at what point did you install the Doghead relay?

It is possibly a bad relay or a bad solenoid on the starter. Or it could even be the bendix sticking on the flexplate. And it could just be a bad starter.

Beleive it or not mechanical and electrical parts do fail at some point. ;-)

Last edited:

Okie Cowboy

I believe the starter is factory. I did the relay mod 6-8 months ago. I just don't know how to tell if it's the solenoid or starter. I know parts fail but never had a starter fail like this.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before starting any trouble shooting make sure the batteries are fully charged and load tested. The ice and snow lately have been killers on batteries.

You can disconnect the relay and then reconnect the batteries. If the solenoid is stuck it will try to start.

Pulling the starter isn't hard. It is just heavy. Some time jacking the truck up and allowing the axle to droop makes it easier.

There should be a starter shop in Altus or Lawton that can have a look at it. A starter is not something that is easily tested by someone that has never done it before. Not saying it can't even done just not an easy thing.

Okie Cowboy

I can't charge batteries till power back on I can check with multimeter though. i want to make sure I'm right disconnect under dash solenoid If it doesn't turnover then that's possibly the problem. If it does turnover with solenoid disconnected it's probably the starter.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes.

Also be prepared for a fusible link to get toasted when the battery cables where disconnected. There is a thread in CUCV Helpful Threads sticky that explains why this happens.

You may want to read it anyway and see some others that have had similar issues. Read Keith_J's post in that thread.

Last edited:

cpf240

I can't charge batteries till power back on I can check with multimeter though. i want to make sure I'm right disconnect under dash solenoid If it doesn't turnover then that's possibly the problem. If it does turnover with solenoid disconnected it's probably the starter.
Could also just use your meter to see if the relay is shorted.

Okie Cowboy

Ok so I finally got some time and disconnected solenoid and when I went to connect batteries it started turning over the engine. I guess it's the starter then. I looked up a repair shop in Lawton it didn't get good reviews or try and find a new one.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pull the starter off and you can easily replace the solenoid. I have a spare solenoid that is new I can sell if you can't find one locally.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks