• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine Turns - Will not Start. Smoke from Instrument Panel

Urantian

I have an 1971 M35A2, that will not start. When I turned on the power, and waited a bit, the engine turns but does not start. There was electrical-smelling smoke coming from the left side of the instrument panel, perhaps from behind the power switch. I'm wondering whether there is a short keeping the fuel pump from working, or maybe the switch is shorted. The smoke stops shortly after turning off the power switch. Any thoughts about what could be going on?

Thank you,

Michael

rustystud

Don't worry about your truck not starting. You need to find the source of the smoke and fix it.
Exactly what he said !!!! Your truck not starting will not matter if you burn it to the ground. A lot of people have a misconception about "metal" vehicle's not being able to burn down. Kind of like the crazy conspiracy theory of the "Twin Towers" not being able to burn due to the fact they where made of steel.
Well having seen with my own little eye's several vehicles (including a large loader) burn to the ground, I can honestly say they can ! When it gets so hot the aluminum parts start to melt and add their own heat, it really gets interesting !

What you have described sounds like the starter switch is shorting out.
If that is so your using up the available voltage going to ground to be able to power the starter solenoid.

Urantian

My apologies for the delay with updates. Farm life can be very busy, coupled with a full-time job. A friend came over today, and suddenly, the fuel pump is working, and there is no smoke from behind the instrument panel. The engine started right up! No sign of trouble now. My guess is that something got in there and caused a temporary problem, such as when Admiral Grace Hopper encountered the first computer bug. I once had an entire electric fence go out because of voltage arcing through a large spider. My friend brought his military truck and we enjoyed a convoy for a while, to also make sure my truck was doing okay. Thank you all for the feedback.

waayfast

Glad it got sorted out for you!

I was beginning to wonder if you hadn't somehow ended up with one of those ultra rare trucks (and thankfully, they ARE rare) that came equipped from the factory with electrical components made by Lucas.

Whew!

Jim

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Urantian, I would AT LEAST install a battery disconnect ASAP, even if you do not plan to hunt for the problem (which, as you explain, may or may not really exist). That way, you can make your truck electrically safe. The last thing you want is two 24V batteries setting your truck alight and burn down the barn it is parked in or parked near.
I am not joking. This has happened....here on this forum.

The disconnects are easy to install - interrupt the ground coming back to the battery.

russojap

The disconnects are easy to install - interrupt the ground coming back to the battery.
Could you elaborate on how to do the battery disconnect?
I could smell something hot or burning inside the truck when I was just checking all the lights. They hadn't been turned on in a few years so maybe it was some dust or something in the instrument panel?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks