• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine valley drain hole

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a little tube sticking out above the oil filter housing and it’s hard to see. You probably need to stick something up from the bottom and try to clean it out. I used a zip tie. I tried to do on my m1165 Melton rebuild and I swear it’s not there and has a freeze plug in it. I haven’t had a chance to look it further. My m1123 had sand and diesel in it tube but I got it cleaned out finally

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They get clogged easy ...the tube down inside is crushed where it goes close to flex plate, then back to round as it comes out.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 6.5L is plugged. I’ve tried everything and it’s still plugged. No idea what to try next, but everything I’ve tried in either end gets stuck in the bend areas.

good luck

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
tried it, still plugged..
Here's how I clean small tubes: find a 3-4" piece of 1/16" or 3/32" braided steel wire (like for hanging large paintings/pictures of ffrom motorcycle clutch cables). Chuck it in a hand drill and begin turning while feeding it into the tube. The frayed end will fray and twist and auger that sucker out good if all goes well. If it is badly plugged, you may need to cut off the end of the cable a few times to expose new "abrasive" ends. It usually works for me if the tube in question isn't completely rusted solid.
BDGR

INFChief

I had no idea there was a drain hole there. On a M998 family I don’t recall any water gathering in there. If there was it would have been coolant. How does water get in there? Flung up from the tires when driving in wet surfaces???

nairb

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Attachments

Last edited:

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had no idea there was a drain hole there. On a M998 family I don’t recall any water gathering in there. If there was it would have been coolant. How does water get in there? Flung up from the tires when driving in wet surfaces???
Mine gets water in it because I haven't replaced the seal strips along the hood/windshield boundary. It's on the list, I promise!
BDGR

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tried a 3/32" clutch cable, went to what felt like the first bend and stopped moving.. (from both sides).. Ya, mine is either damaged, or so full nothing wants to drill into the packed in dirt/debris.

As for how water gets in, from the hood area basically.. just runs down onto the top of the engine and can sit in the valley.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks