• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Epic Tire Failure

DUECE-COUPE

i run the same on my truck at 40 in the back and 45 on the front. i have have no problems so far, but now i am going to get off my butt and get my davit built so i can change a tire and not have to leave the old one in the bushes for a latter recovery.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm betting manufacturer defect. Wouldnt be the first tire ive seen this happen. I'd check with where you got em and see if its covered. Glad you're safe.

Garandfan

Interesting! My friend singled out his deuce with the michelin xl something or other, they are big... He had cracking on the sidewalls of a coupled tires. He ran the tires at 60 psi, the tires were rated at 120 psi. I asked another friend who owns a tire shop, the same shop that mounted his these tires, why this happened. He explained that there is no special way to put these tires on other than using brute force and there is no real guarantee on a used tire to begin with. He said if anything, more air was needed, maybe 90 psi.... Less air means more mushrooming and flex of the sidewall and weakens it. Based on this, I'm with Gimpy, more air.

bgekky3

This is a tire I bought. It was replaced by the seller with a good one. It was very dry with cracks on the sidewall. It also left black marks on your hands when you touched it and even on sand when backing out of the garage.

Is the white paint on the sidewall a way to mark the bad tires or a method of checking for cracking?

Attachments

cruzinz28

Same things happened to me on my bobber when I was running the 14.5R 20. Thew only difference was I was going 45-55 MPH on the interstate. The front left tire went on the truck and I was along for the ride across 3 lanes of traffic into the median.!! THANK GOD no one was hit or hurt! The truck got some scratches under the fender and the tire never broke the bead even through the pictures are the same as what was posted here.

The only conclusion I could make was that a steel belt let loose in the sidewall. Chaulk it up to experience and say I've been there and never want to do that again!

Silverback

I was coming back from a recovery at Warner Robins, M35A3 with 966 miles on it, we did a pre trip on it, tire pressure, fluids, steering linkage, brakes, lights and so on. I noticed that the truck started pulling to the right coming through Atlanta, I was having to keep the steering wheel pulled more to the left, so we stopped just North of big A and checked tire pressure and steering components again, noticed that all of the tires were showing scrubbing from having to pull so much to the left. Got back on the road and had traveled about 20 miles when the right front blew out at about 52 mph, right turn off the shoulder, 6 foot drop heading for a creek bed or drainage ditch, managed to get it stopped just as the right front dropped off the edge of the ditch. Once I got the denim spit out and realized I was still in one piece I backed it off the edge and managed to limp it the half mile to the exit. The tread section (gator) come off in almost one piece. I don't know if it was a sidewall issue, I would imagine that the belts separated and that was what was causing it to pull so bad. Not something I would want to experience again.

JDToumanian

All these stories are in line with my experience with Michelin tires in general, they like to fail when they get a little old. Michelins over 10 years old or any with cracking regardless of age, I want no part of. A friend of mine worked on Crown tandem school busses... His school district banned Michelin truck tires because of the number of failures, when they had lots of life left and weren't retreads. You can't risk these failures with a busload of kids...

Jon

zout

I would have to get my book out - but I am about ready to leave to rally ground.
The 3 DOT date code is surely older than 10 yrs - they started the 4 digit after that as in 0000 - first two week of the year tire made - second 2 are yr of tire made.

The 3 digit were forerunners of the now code.

As to not purchasing Michilin - I never purchase a michilin nor a recap casing that has michilin name on in for our fleet - there are yrs of experience with this Manufacturer and they are horror stories. If you got good truck tires - thumbs up for you cause you lucked out. Specifically BIG truck tires.

This extends all the way to attempting to get warranty for their brand.

Car tires are a whole nother story and I have no experience with them and have no comment.

From experience at the Texas Tire proving grounds - the split is either rot or impact. The failure did not start on the sidewall - it started in the bead at an incubation stage. Flex - tire flex/air pressure all took over from there.

Unforgiven

It's not just Michelin. I had brand new BF Goodrich tires blow out on an old Jeep. Brand new less than 50 miles on the tread. But they were about a decade old. Luckily the tread peeled before blowing out so I was able to coast to a stop in the emergency lane.

Old rubber is old rubber no matter who manufactured it.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This story and the fact that I drive the highways most of the time is why I always try to get a set of 18-wheeler steer tires on the fronts as soon as possible. The cost of $650 for a pair may seem steep but it is cheaper in the long run because they wear very well. I am always concerned with safety in a large truck because it's not a daily experience like a profesional truck driver would have. Aware that any time the performance is upgraded or the truck is on the highway at speed, the safety related items must also be kept in top shape and sometimes upgraded as well. The steer tires look pretty good too. It is a pity the commercial tires do not come in all of the taller sizes, but 9.00x20 and 11.00x20 are easy to find.

Fit of 11x20 tires on M35A2

BEASTMASTER

it does'nt sound like you guys are running the recomended pressure for those tires. it should be stamped on the sidewall. there should be a pressure for single wheel or dual wheels. and i'm really sure it will be over 75 pounds. if you prefer a softer ride over safety, you are in for a rude awakening,and you might KILL somebody. i hope not.

hklvette

it does'nt sound like you guys are running the recomended pressure for those tires. it should be stamped on the sidewall. there should be a pressure for single wheel or dual wheels. and i'm really sure it will be over 75 pounds. if you prefer a softer ride over safety, you are in for a rude awakening,and you might KILL somebody. i hope not.
14.5R20 XLs are rated at 80psi max. I plan on running a pair on the front my A2 with A3 wheels and 11R20 XLs dualed rear, but don't do much high-speed driving so am not so concerned about high-speed failure. I will keep an eye out for any potential issues.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks