• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Equipment Violations

Warren Lovell

Just as in any job, there can be some real "tools" out there enforcing the laws of this state. Then there are the ones who are car guys. I think the bottom line is the vehicle code in most instances is pretty specific and if you follow the code, you're not going to get pulled over. Driving is a priviledge in this state, not a right. I have seen the priveiledge taken away many times (including me!)

In California, you have to have probable cause to stop a vehicle. In most instances it will be a moving violation, but cops that know the vehicle code and have a wild hair for fix it tickets, will stop and write you...or give you a verbal.
Per California Vehicle Code section 22, you don't even have to be present to get a citation...they can notify you by mail.

Knowledge is power! Just get yourself a copy of your respective state's vehicle code and educate yourself. The judge will tell you ignorance is not a defense. But should you ever contest a citation - casting doubt on any aspect of the violation will set you free. Should you know all the vehicle codes? No...but you should at least know the ones pertaining to you.

ONTOS66

The people that REALLY know the Calif. Vehicle Code are the CHP (California Highway Patrol) .. height of headlights from the ground, overloaded vehicles, and all sorts of other minutia. Any mods to a stock vehicle WILL in most cases create problems with some section of the vehicle code.

As Warren pointed out, check YOUR local vehicle code - preferably before you make changes to a vehicle that you are going to operate on the road.

Bobbed4x4

Banned
Better yet, register it in Montana, then take it to California and laugh all the way through. Only thing you have to remember in Montana... cows (yes, cattle) still have the right of way on public roads lol.

Warren Lovell

That's why police departments have traffic divisions. The officers interested in going there should be enforcing the codes.

(Okay - read this in your best "Jack Webb" head voice)

Many criminals have been apprehended for the "crime" of an equipment violation. Unlicensed drivers are caught - their vehicles impounded. Illegal immigrants with no insurance, who could care less who pays for Aunt Betty's severed leg after an accident they caused. Fleeing felons, parolees at large, large crimes, small crimes, misdemeanor crimes, felony crimes. The criminal doesn't care about equipment violations. So son, the next time you get robbed and the suspect flees in a vehicle with a broken taillite, just thank the cop who pulled him over for a "real crime".

XM 2742

Yep..and it generates a lot of money for the state and or city coffers...........cha ching.

Many people have been treated like criminals while funding incompetent government ....so just what are the real stats on a fleeing fellon vs a hard working stiff getting a revenue generation ticket. Do they have to pull over 500 regular guys at a hundred a pop to get a bank robber?

steelandcanvas

Don't want to get pulled over? Check your vehicle's lights, plates, etc., Chances are they'll pass you up if everything is in good shape. Warren, you have made some good points.

Warren Lovell

Again, refer to the first post. I don't think generalizing about cops is fair. Then again, if you drive a vehicle with equipment violations, you have only yourself to blame.

steelandcanvas

You're welcome Warren. Personally I don't care to get pulled over, but a quick check of your vehicle occaisionally should prevent this. Yes, the State Troopers, Sheriffs, and local LEOs are all in a budget crunch, and are looking for ways to keep their jobs. VC violations are an easy target for them, and some bad Guys are taken off the streets this way, no doubt. I just don't believe in Cop bashing. 'Nuff said.:beer:

REGULATOR

sounds like a good reason to do a weekly PMCS

showed my 16 yr old step son who has been driving my m1009 the TM and the PMCS check sheet, and ran him through it, he does it every weekend.

I also explained to him that is older then he is, and if he doesnt check the fluids etc, they might all be gone! and he will be stranded

Most decent cops that pull you over for a minor thing like a tailight out or something will issue a fix-it ticket or tell you to get it done, and it is a good excuse to check for DL/Reg and if your drunk.

joeypushjr1

what ever happened to not talking politics in threads.. boy this went further then it should have..as long as you keep up with your vehicles . your fine.. case closed thanx warren for the post

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
..as long as you keep up with your vehicles . your fine.. case closed ....
Not true....

After what I thought was an unjust citation from a CHP officer, I obtained a copy of the California Vehicle Code and looked up the infraction the officer cited me for.

Sure enough, the officer had pulled the infraction out of his a$$. There was nothing in the code that covered the circumstance he cited me for. However the court I was to appear in to contest the citation was over 4 hours away from where I lived. I ended up paying $300 and have not forgotten the experience of the treatment I received from the CHP officer.

I recommend you have a copy of the Vehicle Code book available to check the LEO and circumstances for every citation. It does not appear that the law is always correctly applied. You are not always "fine" if your rig is "kept up".

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks